Day 16 (of 50 questions to ponder)

Discussion in 'Play Pen' started by See Post, Jul 25, 2011.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By 999HAUNTS

Sorry for the two day wait...my house is a mess from a semi-remodel so no internet, and my smart phone apparently isn't smart enough to keep the LCD ribbon intact. Which brings me to the question(s) for the day:

How did we used to survive without cell phones? How has owning one changed your life for the better or the worse?

2. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By 999HAUNTS

I think back in the day we didn't know the convenience of having a cell phone so we didn't stress without one. There were ample pay phones available, and the neighborhoods were much safer to drive through. Meaning, if your car broke down, you could easily knock on someone's door and use their phone.

Now, there is probably no way anyone would open their home to you to use their phone. Most homes in my area only have cell coverage anyway (by choice)to cut down expenses.

Me being a whole day so far without my phone, it's driving me crazy!!! I couldn't check in with my daughter who was swimming at her friend's house, and she had no way to contact me because I was in my mom's garage most of the day helping her organize. Dare I say I felt naked without one?? Well, I did. I need to get it replaced STAT!!

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By oneyepete

I know as a teenager it made me more responsible to my parents. Checking in, letting them know where I was and what I was planning on doing. I like my phone now for the ability to converse right now. The problem I have is with the texting language. Kids are spelling like they text in my classes. Also it has become an addiction for some. They just can't put it down.

4. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Yahtzee Nay Nay

Due to some financial hardship, I had to give up my cell phone for a few months this year. Nobody thought I could survive since, as I've been told, I text faster than a 13 year old drinking red Bull. Turns out, I LOVED IT!!!! It was so liberating to go somewhere knowing that NOBODY could find me. I thought not having the cell phone would be more stressful, but it was actually less so. When I did have the funds again to get the cell phone, my family had to drag me kicking and screaming back. I've discovered that I tend to "forget" my cell phone quite frequently now.

5. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Autopia Deb

My cell phone didn't make much difference. I liked having it when I traveled, but I would go days or weeks without using it. My son is the same way, and I wish he would have it charged, turned on and on his person more often so I can keep in contact with him more.

Now my "smart" phone, that's a whole other story. I have a LOT of down time at my work, so I use it for LP, Facebook, Twitter and texting just to keep me from going out of my mind with boredom. In fact I am looking forward to replacing it soon with one that doesn't time out as often as this one does. Sometimes responding to a thread will take 15 or 20 minutes for something I could type out on a regular keyboard in a minute or 2.

6. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By LadyKluck

I think I could live without it if I didn't have kids. Like 999 mentioned, we don't have a landline phone anymore because of the cell phones, so it really is our only form of communication if something were to happen.
    I have never been a fan of talking on the phone, especially after a few jobs at various call centers (one of them a cell phone provider oddly enough), so for me I love texting, though I use VERY little "text speak" because it's just annoying.
    It's just SO nice to be standing in the grocery store & send a quck text to DH because I almost always forget something, or he'll think of something we need while I'm there. =)

7. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By LVBelle

I could live without mine but I prefer not to, mostly because of the kid factor. When my phone died last week at Disneyland, I was anxious, thinking that no one would be able to contact me if anything happened to my son.

8. See Post

See Post New Member

I could live without mine but I prefer not to, mostly because of the kid factor. When my phone died last week at Disneyland, I was anxious, thinking that no one would be able to contact me if anything happened to my son.

9. See Post

See Post New Member

*hic* Sorry, too many drinks at the LP Beach and Tennis Club!

10. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Goofyernmost

If cell phones didn't exist we would all be fine. Before them we made some phone calls, sent notes or spoke to people in person. I am somewhat puzzled about just who all these people, with their cell phones glued to their ears, are talking too. I don't even know enough people to spend that much time on the phone.

Now we are in constant communication mode. I hate that in one way because you can never just "get away", but on the other hand it is somewhat comforting to know that people that are important to you can get in touch regardless of where you might be.

I had a prime example of that a couple of weeks ago. I had left my phone inside and was outside my apartment chatting with some of my neighbors. While I was doing that my daughter was trying to call me. Nothing special, just to talk. After three calls, and four texts, she was in a panic. What had happened to me, I always answered the phone or called back almost immediately.

Anyway, I finally came back into the apartment only to hear the phone ringing. I picked it up and it was my daughter, almost in tears, worried that something had happened to me. It was nice to know that she cared enough to be worried, but I felt that it was my fault because I didn't have that constant lifeline on me.

Back in the day...that process would have taken about 24 hours before anyone would have even started to worry. Now...just a little over an hour. I see a good side and a bad side to this.

11. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By wahooskipper

For me it has a far greater impact for work than for my family/social life. I'm pretty much always "on call" so if I can do work via a SmartPhone that saves me from getting "piled on" then I consider it a good thing. I guess it makes me more efficient.

But, I also know when to ignore it.

12. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By TheParsec

Same here, makes a Big difference for work. Before cell phones, had to stop at 7-11's and use payphones to check into my office, or call customers (When I'm out on a route). Wasted a lot of time. Now I can call or get calls anytime. Just one bad thing about it now, before, the first person that would call in most likely got the extra jobs, now the office can call any of us. Oh well! I love my smart phone! I can get in the Internet or play games on my breaks!

13. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Liberty Belle

>>I hate that in one way because you can never just "get away", but on the other hand it is somewhat comforting to know that people that are important to you can get in touch regardless of where you might be.<<

I agree with this. Most people think I'm addicted to my phone, but actually last year I had to be on call all the time (I was a substitute teacher, and missed calls meant missed jobs) and I actually hated the pressure of having my phone with me at all times. I would worry in a 2-hour movie or 1-hour massage that I was missing a work call. Normally I'm much more relaxed with my phone, although I must admit I fall back on it a lot - not making proper plans a lot of the time because I know I can just ring or text people and they can do the same.

14. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By u k fan

I was given a phone last year as a gift. I very rarely use it and it usually sits at home on silent!!!

15. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Yahtzee Nay Nay

"Back in the day...that process would have taken about 24 hours before anyone would have even started to worry. Now...just a little over an hour. I see a good side and a bad side to this."

This drives me insane with my family. I do have a land line right now just for a fax machine. It is only temporary and will be going as soon as the amount of stuff that I have to fax diminishes. Sometimes, I'll be home and just don't feel like talking to anyone. My cell phone will ring, then the land line rings, then the cell phone rings again, then a text comes in and it will all be the same person. By then, I'm in a panic because I think someone is hurt or dead. I call said person back and nope, just something trivial.

I do worry about keeping my cell with me when my son is at school, even though somehow when I was a kid I made it all the way through school alive before cell phones ever showed up.

16. See Post

See Post New Member

Sometimes, especially if I am cooking, I won't pick up either the land line or my cell. I have an answering machine and voice mail on the cell, leave a flippin' message! But does anyone? Nope, they just switch back and forth calling and calling. I'm up to my elbows in dinner fixings, don't make me pick up the phone. Tell me what you want and I'll get back to you.

17. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By LadyKluck

Hahahaha! It's funny you say that because I'm really bad about calling someone & if I get their voicemail, I'll hang up & then just send them a text so that they don't think it's important or that they have to call right back or anything.

18. See Post

See Post New Member

I'd be happy with a text, listening to a message is easier and I know right away if I need to drop everything, but a text at least let's me know if it's an emergency or not.

19. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Pollyana

I have a cheap phone and my kids hate it. I am thinking of upgrading to a phone that does lots of tricks although I will need to take lessons..we cut our land line and I really love not having that phone. I don't know what we did w/o cells. But I don't text and hate to see texting drivers! I see it all the time here in AZ....outrageous!

20. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By WDWdreamin

I didn't get a cell phone until I was 21 when my parents insisted. I will only answer for people it IDs and then only when I want to. People leave messages and texts and I get back to them eventually. I will get right back to friends and work when they have an important question, if my phone wasn't in another room all day and quiet. DH would freak out if it was 12hrs before I got back to him, but other people, it would still take days before they worried. I easily take vacations without my phone at all (as long as my husband is with me). But, cell phones are very useful at amusement parks and I like to browse LP and facebook when I am out and alone and bored.