Disney Mountain Rises in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland' started by See Post, Jun 2, 2012.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By dagobert

Thanks for the video. The scenery looks wonderful. It seems that the coaster combines a lift hill launch and a catapult launch.

2. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By irishfan

Looks like a real solid attraction for Hong Kong Disneyland.

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Dr Hans Reinhardt

I would ride that all day. I love it.

4. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Witches of Morva

ORDDU: And I feel the same way about you, Doctor.

5. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By xrayvision

Ironic, that's the way that I feel about you Witches. I'd love to take a ride on your broomsticks. I'm sure that it would be an E-ticket adventure. :)

6. See Post

See Post New Member

ORGOCH: Sounds ta me like ya gotta death wish, xrayvison, ducklin'.

7. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By dagobert

Here are two articles about HKDL's new Grizzly Gulch by Disney & More:

<a href="http://disneyandmore.blogspot.co.at/2012/07/hkdl-grizzly-gulch-part-one-big-grizzly_01.html" target="_blank">http://disneyandmore.blogspot...._01.html</a>

<a href="http://disneyandmore.blogspot.co.at/2012/07/hkdl-grizzly-gulch-part-two-new-kind-of.html" target="_blank">http://disneyandmore.blogspot....-of.html</a>

8. See Post

See Post New Member

This ride looks awesome. For first time since it opened I want to go to HKDL!

9. See Post

See Post New Member

There's more:

<a href="http://disneyandmore.blogspot.co.at/2012/07/hkdl-grizzly-gulch-part-three-geyser.html" target="_blank">http://disneyandmore.blogspot....ser.html</a>

10. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By CuriousConstance

The geyser looks awesome!

11. See Post

See Post New Member

ORWEN: I don't know why they don't just go ahead and open up Grizzly Mine Train right now, since it's up and running anyway. Cast member previews should be over and done with by now. Why wait until July 14th to let everybody else join in on all the fun? They've tested the thing and might as well at least have soft openings starting right away.

12. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By friarthe

<<In a word, PLUSH. Human characters without movie or Toon synergy, would have no merchandising power. Throw a bunch of cute and mischievous bears into the attraction and viola, you have instant souvenir sales.>>

TMichael, you couldn't be more right. I visited yesterday and the place is up to its ears in plush -- not just bears, either. Also Lucky the Dog who found the giant "Lucky Nugget".

To be fair though, those bears are really adorable. The mama bear in the explosion scene near the end is absolutely great, some of the best acting I've seen from an AA ever.

13. See Post

See Post New Member

So.... what did you think of the ride and the new land?

14. See Post

See Post New Member

The new ride is class. Much less "scary" than EE (back when the yeti worked). The roller coaster sections are very fast and (after 3 rides) I still had no idea where we were in the land -- it covers a lot of ground.

Lines were NOT long. I was there Monday, but it is summer break for kids here, and the longest queue we saw was 1 hour. The 3 times I rode were first thing in the morning. A lot of crazy running at rope drop to get there, but the line was still 5 minutes long when we stopped riding (and re-riding) at 10:30. I expect to ride the heck out of that thing when off-season comes.

Same is true of Space Mountain, by the way. The lines for Pooh and Golden Mickeys are always insane, but the thrill rides don't seem to resonate as well here.

The land itself delivers much better than I had anticipated. Reminded me a lot of the Knott's Ghost Town but done with a Disney budget.

Now we just have to wait for Mystic Point...

15. See Post

See Post New Member

How are the crowds in TSPL?

16. See Post

See Post New Member

It's usually busy -- understand, I don't do weekends at the park -- but during weekdays there is often a line long enough for the Parachute Drop to keep me away from it. (Fun little ride, actually -- more like the Jumpin' Jellyfish than an actual drop ride, which surprised me.)

The RC Racers ride is a hoot, and I've done 20-minute lines to ride it. It gets up to around 40-45 minutes during the week in summer, easily.

As usual, though, the longest lines seem to always be for the character meet-n-greets. Everyone loves Neckless Jessie.

I have yet to eat a pizza roll in TSPL, but they look awesome.

17. See Post

See Post New Member

Cool. Thanks for the report!

18. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By CDF2

"The new ride is class. Much less "scary" than EE (back when the yeti worked). The roller coaster sections are very fast and (after 3 rides) I still had no idea where we were in the land -- it covers a lot of ground."

Nice to hear a good report from a human person - just looking at the posted ride videos this ride doesn't look like much and seems far less "well-themed" than either BTMRR or EE (both of which I feel deliver fantastic theming combined with nice rides).

I guess seeing is believing - guess I'll have to wait until I make a trip to Hong Kong or wait and see if they figure they can clone a version of the ride with an Indiana Jones or some other theme and plop it into Studios or maybe DLP

19. See Post

See Post New Member

Tom Staggs wrote a recent post on the Disney Parks Blog about Grizzly Gultch. Included are some great publicity shots of the new ride.

<a href="http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/07/grizzly-gulch-opens-at-hong-kong-disneyland-resort/" target="_blank">http://disneyparks.disney.go.c...-resort/</a>

20. See Post

See Post New Member

"seems far less "well-themed" than either BTMRR or EE (both of which I feel deliver fantastic theming combined with nice rides)."

With EE, maybe this is a snobbish quibble, but the backwards portion always takes me right out of the theme. The cavernous room you're going through isn't dark enough, and looks like you're inside a shell over a coaster track. Big Grizzly (name too long) never has that problem.

Although I'd go for a million more scenes with the bears (heck, my fantasy ride would be a thrill ride through America Sings -- let's call it something like "Splash Mountain") the fountains, the gold nuggets and jewels you pass just before the 2nd hill (impossible to see in video for some reason), and the details in the line put this almost on par with Big Thunder for me.