How the locals feel about HKDL: poll results

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland' started by See Post, Feb 7, 2009.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Bob Paris

DAMMIT I wanna go to LA Disneyworld!!!

I have only been to the one in Orlando. And nothing there make me very boried.

Well, maybe that lame Drew Carey sound show.

2. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By oc_dean

>>DL has an attendance of somewhere in between 12-15 million, with around that many living in the LA county area.<<

just an "fyi" ... when all 4 counties that make up a "hub" surrounding DL are added up (LA County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, Ventura County)

It's somewhere around 17 million.
    (Not sure if San Diego County is part of that figure, though I doubt it).

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Anatole69

It sounds like DL is underperforming according to the population in the region then. Improvements in the second gate and expansion with a third gate could be supported by the already exisiting population, if my theory has any merit.

- Anatole

4. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By AnnieinTDL

I've been to Ocean Park during my trips to HK. They had the worst services in HK. That really sucks!!!

5. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By bearbearla

ok..
    I'm finally replying this .....thread ?

After all of you have teased me on '' cardboard '' and '' fastpass'' I'm a bit chicken about writing more english .

I didn't know I was the only one who gave such long comments. Though I'm quite
    proud that a disney guy said I have good observations , but said I got ''too far''

..Some of you might think it's a strange market . Well, it's not.

YOU see, Foreigners think HK is a very very fun place. But if you are a local you might find it boring sometimes.
    It's always..shopping...eatinng....shopping...mcdonalds everywhere....not much charateristic and culture to me. Maybe lots of shows is a culture but...not interested.
    We dont' have picnics. We don't have grasslands around. We don't sit and chat and enjoy a nice evening fishing like foreigners. We don't fly kites we don't can't buy fireworks we can't have barbecues unless we're rich enough to buy a huge house with a balcony, we have to go to the country park for any barbecues and picnics. We don't like having outdoor activities on stairs and Victoria Park, seldome, or hardly ever.

....To be simple, HK is a small place with limited fun things to do. So it's like there's not a choice but to go to theme parks. Because Large open areas are very ...precious ...to citizens like us. ok..? ..especially those with shops and air-conditioned ...short buildings around. U understand what I mean ? Country Parks...are open space but it's hot and...stuff so.

6. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Bob Paris

Wha...............?

I have no memory of this thread.

7. See Post

See Post New Member

Oh hey nice, you added a comment to this thread. Cool.

It would have been helpful to me if you had done it a little earlier, but whatever. lol.

Yeah I was a little disappointed in HK when I went. It did seem like there was a huge lack of things to do besides shopping and eating. A real lack of cultural stuff. I kind of felt that way about Shanghai too, actually. I think the market for both has the potential to be huge with the locals, especially as both have a lot of money because of the growing Chinese economy.

- Anatole

8. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By barboy

///YOU see, Foreigners think HK is a very very fun place. But if you are a local you might find it boring sometimes.///

You don't travel to other countries much?!?!?

I urge you to vacation in Hays Kansas, United States----you'll have a blast!

9. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By WorldDisney

^^LOL!!

10. See Post

See Post New Member

^^ I disagree. I have been to HK and comparing it to a small city in the midwest doesn't change the fact that HK is primarily a commercial city that is lacking cultural output in the way more cosmopolitan cities such as New York, Tokyo, Los Angeles, San Francisco etc... have. It is similar to New York in having a strong financial center, but is unlike New York in that it doesn't have a strong cultural center.

I have a feeling there are a few reasons for this, the influence of Beijing on local culture being one, and the strong need to financially provide for ones family drives many towards business rather than the arts being the second.

- Anatole

11. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Bob Paris 1

"YOU see, Foreigners think HK is a very very fun place. But if you are a local you might find it boring sometimes."

Not the ones I have talked to here in Western Australia(closest part of OZ to HK).

An asian girl I used to work with(trippiest chick you'd ever meet - the girl ate FISH EYES!!!!!)told me she went there and said it was small, boring and kinda lame.

And just last week my partner came home from and told me excitedly about a conversation he had with a new workmate. She told him she had been to DL and WDW and he discussed me and my parks' obsession and how I had been to the best around the world.

She asked if I had been to HKDL and he turned his nose up and said, "No, because that place is not very good!" and, get this, she agreed saying she had heard that too.

So word is out on the street, amongst theplebs and mundanes(not just Disney nerds online)that HKDL is a stinker to be avoided!

12. See Post

See Post New Member

^^ She was saying foreingers feel Hong Kong is an exciting place, not HKDL.

- Anatole

13. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Bob Paris 1

Ok - gotcha.

But colour me as one of those people that don't find cities interesting. When I go to HK it's going to be WELL and TRULY after the park expansion and it will be only to see HKDL and the unique E's there.

HK as a city is as interesting for me as Canberra and Cleveland. I am not a bar/nightclub/shopping person and "exotic" Asian stuff(for me) = stomach virus and three days on the crapper.

14. See Post

See Post New Member

^^ To each his own. I find some cities exciting, and each for their own reasons. New York, San Francisco, Rio, Tokyo and Shanghai are cities I have been to that I thought were exciting in and of themselves.

- Anatole

15. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By pitapan16

I've never heard HK described as small and boring before untell now. The world must be very interesting to me because I can hardly imagine leaving Hong Kong and saying, yeah it was Ok but it was pretty small and kinda boring.

16. See Post

See Post New Member

^^Yeah count me in as well! I been to HK many times, majority of the time before HKDL was ever built and its a very exciting city to go to. Of course it doesnt mean everyone will like it and yes, if you live in the city, its always going to be different for you as a local than a visitor. I'm from L.A. and I honestly dont think the place is all that exciting, but you ask anyone else and they see Hollywood, Beverly Hills, the beaches, nightlife, Citywalk, the ridiculous shopping malls, of course our own DL, etc and they obviously have a different take than me who wasnt fed on L.A. growing up the same way they were as outsiders. Thats just the way it is for most locals in cities. The grass is always greener effect and I lived in other big cities like San Francisco, Tokyo, Seoul and Sydney and of course visited many of the other major cities on the planet and most of the time I enjoy them as a visitor because you are just attracted to the different energy and people there you may not get where you are from. Tokyo, San Francisco and Sydney was so great for me the first time I visited I decided to move to those places years later and didnt regret it at all. Its just your perspective overall.

And I can see how for a local HK can feel cramped (it IS a smaller big city when you look at the dimensions of it compared to New York, L.A. and London--you can get from one side of Hong Kong island to the other side in about 30 mins) and the fact its kind of isolated from the rest of China probably makes it more alienating.

And a crappy Disney park doesnt help ;).

17. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Mr X

^--amazing that you have been to so many places and still haven't managed to check out the greatest city on the planet bar none.

18. See Post

See Post New Member

Are you talking about Osaka X, dont worry I been there too ;D.

No, I'm guessing you are talking about New York, right? LOL, I know. I dont know just never appealed for me to see it although I have about a half dozen friends from college and two ex-roommates from S.F. all living there now I can visit. One day hopefully I will have a chance to see it.

If you're talking Boston though---naaaah ;).

And thanks for the birthday wish today on FB :).

19. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Mr X

Meh.

Boston's a great city, you don't know what you're missin!

New York, however, is THE most incredible city on the planet...you MUST see it (and you can cruise up to Boston for a day or two during your trip...Dennis in CT can show you around both places).

Y.W.

20. See Post

See Post New Member

Well you obviously know how much I love (and still greatly miss!!) Tokyo and I have a hard time believing its better than that city, but yeah you been to both and I havent.

But yes, obviously I believe you. Irishfan says the same thing too about it. I had a few chances to go in the past, but I always ended up going someplace else. Maybe Disney just needs to build a park there lol.