How the locals feel about HKDL: poll results

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland' started by See Post, Feb 7, 2009.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By irishfan

>>New York, however, is THE most incredible city on the planet...you MUST see it (and you can cruise up to Boston for a day or two during your trip...Dennis in CT can show you around both places).<<

How many times did I tell you to go to New York WD??

2. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Mr X

I dunno about "better", but here's the thing about Tokyo. It's the best that JAPAN has to offer (and that's great). I love Tokyo.

BUT, take food for example. Japan has pretty good Chinese food, but it tastes Japanese. Italian? Sure...but it's got a Japanese vibe to it. Curry, same thing. Heck, even the FAST FOOD tastes totally Japanese (and I'm not JUST talking about all the shrimp burgers and teriyaki sauce :p).

I would compare that to an American city like Washington D.C., or maybe even L.A. (although L.A. boasts a pretty decent hispanic vibe lol).

But N.Y.C. isn't just a great AMERICAN city, it's like a microcosm of the whole WORLD.

Want some Jewish culture and cuisine? Step into a deli and eat like you're in Israel, surrounded by Jewish people reading Jewish newspapers. Little Italy IS Italy, almost. The international vibe there is amazing. Epcot could only dream of offering such a one-stop experience of culture.

That's why I think NYC is number one, though I love Tokyo. You've been to a lot more cities than I have though, maybe some others have a similar vibe. But for me New York is unique in that way.

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By SuperDry

<<< Heck, even the FAST FOOD tastes totally Japanese >>>

Perhaps the local chains, but as far as international ones, fast food in Japan tastes *exactly* like it does in the home country. For example, go to McDonalds and order a Big Mac and Fries, and it will taste *exactly* like it does in the US. Now, there may be "extra" items on the menu that are created for local tastes, but the signature items are exactly the same.

The only place that I've been to in the world where that's NOT been the case is Korea. There's a noticeable lesser presence of foreign chains to start with, and even with those that are there, everything tastes just a bit "off" to what the same thing is elsewhere.

4. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By WorldDisney

Hey there Superdry!!

Pretty funny as we were actually talking about this last weekend at the Disneyland. And dude, we got taaaaaaanked!!! I dont think I ever been that drunk at Disney before :). Gotta throw a special mention to Love-DCA for keeping up. Girl could put it away, huh? Hell even DCA looked...what's the word, decent! Having 4 beers at that park will do that to you ;).

I just realized, the 3 LPers I've gotten tanked with over the years the most was SD, X and Irishfan! Between all that beer drinking with you guys in 5 different countries, I should be dead ;).

Annnyway, I will agree things can taste 'off' but I lived in Korea so long, I really stopped noticing after awhile. I actually thought the burgers in Burger King or Hungry Jacks tasted a little 'off' in Australia compared to America as well. But they are cool! :)

5. See Post

See Post New Member

***Perhaps the local chains***

Well, that's what I had in mind, yes. As far as McDonalds goes, definitely. KFC though...something wrong with that place. Bad chicken.

Dominos, interestingly enough, is actually quite decent in Japan (do avoid the octopus and mayonnaise special though).

<--wonders what McD's tastes like in India

6. See Post

See Post New Member

<<I dunno about "better", but here's the thing about Tokyo. It's the best that JAPAN has to offer (and that's great). I love Tokyo.>>

Yeah, I do too :(.

But I get what you are saying though and I think the big melting part and the mini-neighborhood vibe make it pretty exciting in that respect (although San Francisco has that vibe as well actually, but the city is so much smaller no one really talks about it like N.Y.). L.A. of course has many different neighborhoods, but yeah its just too spread out. It doesnt have the intimate feel these cities probably do and maybe NOT as diverse....but pretty up there ;).

I guess because when you are from L.A., N.Y. just doesnt have that pull for some reason. It kind of just feels like another American big city to me (with even BIGGER group of, well, we will just say its starts with 'a' ;)). But YES I hear you guys, I should definitely go and at least check it out for myself. I'm not saying its 'bad' or anything, I guess just not very interesting to me. But sure, I will probably try and go this year if I get the chance. That's a promise! It can't suck any worse than Paris (sorry people but its TRUE!!!! ;)).

BTW, I went to the movies tonight and I kid you not, I saw 5 movie previews straight, ALL based in NYC. I got bored looking at that skyline over and over again. And then the movie I actually saw, Date Night, the thing took place in New York lol.

7. See Post

See Post New Member

<<Dominos, interestingly enough, is actually quite decent in Japan (do avoid the octopus and mayonnaise special though).>>

Yeah Dominoes is GREAT in Japan (I use to live 8 mins from one...yeah we timed it lol)...and Korea too. It kind of sucks in Australia though...and its not very good in America anymore either compared to before the few times I tried it.

8. See Post

See Post New Member

You know what, I thought about it and I'm going to take back that word calling DCA 'decent' back in post #64. I was very drunk that day and just because they gave it a new viewing area, I dont want to give it a big head just yet ;).

*Whew* better!

9. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By SuperDry

<<< and [Dominos is] not very good in America anymore either compared to before the few times I tried it. >>>

Au contraire: I think that Domino's is the the best it's ever been. They had a major increase in quality about 10 or so years ago, and another within the past year or two. Not that I'm comparing it to a local pizzeria with a secret recipe or anything like that, but for a national/international chain, I think they do a good job.

10. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By davewasbaloo

Dominoes is the best chain in the UK, I have not had it in about 24 years in the US though, so hard to compare.

As for NYC, I think it is alright, but I prefer other cities.

11. See Post

See Post New Member

You're probably right about Dominoes in America...I think I just like it in Korea and Japan more. ESPECIALLY Korea!! I miss eating it there so much :(.

12. See Post

See Post New Member

Damn it guys, now I feel like Dominoes is required for Dinner tonight. There goes my diet.

13. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By mousermerf

The poll suggests to me the park would have benefited from being more Epcot-like and maybe a whole new concept, but certainly less "Magic Kingdom" in style.

14. See Post

See Post New Member

Or maybe if it opened with Pirates, HM, Star Tours and Big Thunder it would have been better recieved too.

I am reminded of the old saying, there is no there there. In other words, there was very little to do on opening day and not much more now.

However, I am considering a trip one Grizzly and Mystic open.

15. See Post

See Post New Member

***but certainly less "Magic Kingdom" in style***

On the contrary, I wish it had been far MORE "Magic Kingdom" in style, and that goes far beyond the lack of attractions.

HKDL is more like one gigantic ToonTown than anything else (with the exception of Main Street, which is a carbon copy of California down to the castle).

And while some might like that, personally I enjoy the mix of realism and fantasy that can be found in all of the REAL magic kingdoms.

16. See Post

See Post New Member

Agreed X, in fact I have never been a fan of the toon stuff, even when I was 5, 8 or 10 years old. Cheap and lazy.

17. See Post

See Post New Member

You and I view Disneyland in a similar way, I think.

Although I'm not so "anti-toon" as you seem to be lol.

I LIKE seeing the characters in the parks, for me it adds to the enjoyment all around. BUT, they are certainly not the biggest reason I love Disneyland. I love DIsneyland for it's variety of adventures, into the future (my personal favorite), into the past, into adventure and fantasy and around the world and into the world of moviemaking and into the lands of animals and ports of call and just about anything the imagination can dream up...I love all that stuff.

On the "over toonification" of the parks though, we totally agree! :)

18. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By xrayvision

Regarding Mystic Manor, I think it's great that HKDL is getting an original attraction. It looks like it will be a lot of fun. However, I'm confused about Disney's statements that Haunted Mansion could not be built in HK because the local audience does not like to discuss or see visuals of the dead or spirits. Yet, HKDL has one the scariest annual Halloween events of any Disney park worldwide, from the Haunt mazes and parade to their scary commercials (which are creatively awesome). Halloween at HKDL seems to be well attended. As I've seen a few scary indy films from Hong Kong, it seems as though the Hong Kong audience does like scary entertainment. This is why I'm confused, as well as bummed that we won't get to see an Adventureland HM with a vodoo/witch doctor theme, as conceived for the park. But, I'm sure Mystic Manor will be cool alternative, and it's an HKDL original.

19. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By xrayvision

And Dominoes recently launched a nationwide campaign that they've increased the quality of their dough, sauce and ingredients. So, no more cardboard thin pizza pies (according to the commercials) as the bread is now thicker and product looks more like Round Table Pizza.

20. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Anatole69

I think the comments about HK not being suitable to ghosts had more to do with objections for the government people than anything else. There are lots of ghosts and such in HK horror films, so there would be no reason not to have a Haunted Mansion in HKDL... from what my understanding is of the attractions that have been nixed from going into the park, all of them were turned down for similar reasons, so my guess is someone from the government side (or someones) has been turning down projects based on idiosyncratic judgements.

- Anatole