Latest Disneyland Commercial -- Really?

Discussion in 'Disney Television' started by See Post, Jan 13, 2012.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Jim in Merced CA

I saw the latest commercial for Disneyland yesterday, and almost fell out of my chair.

Have you seen it?

It's taken from the perspective of the animals on the Jungle Cruise. It shows a Jungle Cruise boat passing through the section where the elephants are, and then also where the lions are feasting on the zebra.

After boat cruises through, the animals stop for a moment, and then start talking to each other about wanting to go on Space Mountain and so forth.

IT'S TERRIBLE!!!!!

Talk about the ultimate in post modern attitude. Now we don't even have to suspend disbelief on the Jungle Cruise and have fun looking at the animals -- they already tell us that they're fake.

Has anyone else seen it? I looked on YouTube and couldn't locate it.

Ugh.

2. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By utahjosh

I remember one like that from a few years ago. I thought it was wonderful.

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By skinnerbox

I've seen it. Unbelievably cringe worthy.

Who the heck is running P&R marketing these days? That commercial is garbage. Heck, I still get ticked when they use DL attraction footage for WDW commercials, like the recent one themed to Alice.

Keep the two resorts separate and use the appropriate footage, Disney. You shouldn't set up families to be disappointed when the version of the ride they saw on TV isn't the one they get on vacation.

4. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By utahjosh

Is this the offending commercial?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tEYS5vHMdY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...YS5vHMdY</a>

It's not perfect, but I don't think it's terrible. As a fan of the attraction, I think it's fun.

5. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By mawnck

>>Now we don't even have to suspend disbelief on the Jungle Cruise and have fun looking at the animals<<

Are we talking about the same Jungle Cruise here? The one with Dr. Falls and all that?

I just can't get all that worked up about the ear-wiggling hippos being exposed as fraudulent. It's not one of the most brilliant pieces of Madison Avenue Swill I've experienced, but it certainly doesn't rise to the level of the hellish desecration of IASW with the inclusion of Woody and Stitch. ;-)

6. See Post

See Post New Member

Wow.

Maybe the next round of commercials can be at 'it's a small world.'

When there's a lag in the boats going through the attraction, the 'children of the world' dolls can be shown talking about child labor laws or seen eating their lunch, or even texting on their cellphones.

Would that be cute?

7. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By CuriousConstance

It might be something like that TaxiCab confessions, Small World style.

That sounds down right awesome to me, Jim!

8. See Post

See Post New Member

Hey here's another idea...

The commercial follows a Mickey Mouse walk-around character backstage.

He takes his rubberhead off, and shoots the bull with some of this fellow disgruntled cast members who talk about how they get paid nothing to deal with stupid guest, and how, when they quit their jobs next week, they will sell their in-Park costumes on Ebay.

"Disneyland - Just because our cast hates it doesn't mean you have to"

Or am I taking this too far?

9. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Goofyernmost

I guess I have to be the controversial one again. When did the Jungle Cruise become an untouchable. I found it funny and a nice departure from Disney's, as of late, cloud like, angelic messages.

It's a damn theme park folks...not a morgue. It pokes fun at itself in true Disney tradition and even in the tradition of the Jungle Cruise itself.

It's funny...lighten up a bit!

10. See Post

See Post New Member

Upon reflection though, I think that perhaps the posted commercial is not the one that Jim is referring too. He said it was a Disneyland Commercial and this one is a Disney World Commercial. If this was the wrong one, I apologize, at least until I've seen it. If this is the one...then what I said!

11. See Post

See Post New Member

<Upon reflection though, I think that perhaps the posted commercial is not the one that Jim is referring too. >

It probably is WDW. Same difference though.

I'm very surprised that so many of my fellow Disney Nerds think that this commercial is just fine, and even funny.

*shrug*

Perhaps I've been praying at the Church of Disney for too long.

12. See Post

See Post New Member

I'm with you, Jim. I don't find it funny. And your small world commercial example is pretty much right on the mark. That's what makes the JC commercial problematic for me. It's not much of a leap to go from this one to the imaginary small world commercial you described. It's a line I don't think Disney should be skating on, much like Miss Piggy advocating the Grand Slam Breakfast. That one surely had Jim Henson spinning in his grave. (Henson was a well-known animal rights activist and vegetarian. Reason why Swedish Chef was always up-ended by the animals he tried to cook.)

13. See Post

See Post New Member

I just looked at the commercial again, and it is for Disneyland.

However, it appears to be one of those 'Disney Parks' commercials that, in the establishing shot, and the cut away afer, can be used for any of the 'Disney' parks.

14. See Post

See Post New Member

>>>Perhaps I've been praying at the Church of Disney for too long.<<<

Jim, I have been around here for a long time and I want you to know that I truly respect your opinions.

That said...I'm sorry but I cannot follow you on this one. We are talking about a little ride in a theme park. From beginning to end it is irreverent and self mocking (backside of water? Really?). Since it has no social, moral or any other significance to the world around us...I find it very difficult to take any of it very serious or alarming.

I am glad to see Disney not taking themselves so seriously for a change. One of the reasons that I liked Shrek so much was because it constantly poked fun at Disney parks and characters. That didn't make me less of a fan of Disney. That didn't insult me, why should it? Make believe characters from a make believe land are pretty much open to anything without concern about major repercussions. So, as I said, I would probably chuckle at your Small World scenario. Might be a bit on the edge, but I would see the humor in it. I don't see a single thing on the edge about the one we are talking about though.

15. See Post

See Post New Member

Jim, is this the one you are talking about because it might be different and all this discussion would therefore be rendered useless.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...YS5vHMdY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...YS5vHMdY</a>

16. See Post

See Post New Member

OK, try this one....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...YS5vHMdY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...YS5vHMdY</a>

17. See Post

See Post New Member

I don't know what is going on with this. It works fine with utahjosh's post but does that weird thing on my post.

18. See Post

See Post New Member

<<However, it appears to be one of those 'Disney Parks' commercials that, in the establishing shot, and the cut away afer, can be used for any of the 'Disney' parks.>>

Yup. This is the one, Jim:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHHGh9zaaL4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...Gh9zaaL4</a>

And I'm still in agreement with Jim. This commercial is definitely in the same tasteless vein as Miss Piggy hawking the Grand Slam Breakfast.

I know they're trying to riff on the whole 'Toy-Story-separate-lives-when-kid-is-gone' scenario, but it doesn't work for me. Like Jim's small world example, it comes across more like a jungle labor camp than the close-knit toy community of Andy's room. Not to mention the 'suspense of disbelief' being broken, as others pointed out, since none of the boats could be present anywhere in ride in order for the animals to 'break character' and converse. That could only be done at the end of the operating day. Which, of course, would be nighttime, thereby making it impossible for the audience to see any of them.

Again, I find this commercial more creepy than entertaining.

19. See Post

See Post New Member

Of course it's a theme park -- yes. I guess for me it's just dumb humor in advertising -- which is very trendy right now -- see Wal-Mart"s new commercials featuring music from "AC/DC" -- and sometimes yes, I do hold Disney to a hgher and more sophisticated standard.

20. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Manfried

I think the commercials are hilarious. I wish the animals were funnier on the Jungle Cruise too. What if they started cracking jokes back at the skippers?