Latest: Shanghai Disney Ground Breaking: Video, Pictures, Flyover, Iger Interview

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland' started by See Post, Apr 8, 2011.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By AutoPost

This topic is for Discussion of <a href="http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID10041560.asp" target="_blank"><b>Latest: Shanghai Disney Ground Breaking: Video, Pictures, Flyover, Iger Interview</b></a>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p><font size="2" face="Arial">The Walt Disney Company and Shanghai Shendi Group, its joint venture partners in China, marked the official start of construction of the new Shanghai Disney Resort at a groundbreaking ceremony.&nbsp;</font><font face="Arial" size="2">Slated to open in approximately 5 years, the Shanghai Disney Resort will be home to Shanghai Disneyland, a Magic Kingdom-style park that will blend classic Disney storytelling and characters with all-new attractions and experiences designed with authentic cultural touches just for the people of China. &nbsp;</font><font face="Arial" size="2">The first phase of the resort will include Shanghai Disneyland, two hotels, a large retail, dining and entertainment venue, recreational facilities, a lake and associated parking and transportation hubs.&nbsp; In Disney tradition, it will feature several themed lands complete with many exciting, iconic Disney attractions and experiences.</font></p>
    <p><font size="2" face="Arial">Click the <b>More Information</b> link below for three videos including groundbreaking highlights, an interview with Bob Iger and a flyover of the property. Also included are several photos from the event and concept art.</font></p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

2. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Anatole69

The concept art isn't really doing it for me.

- Anatole

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Malin

I havn't really seen enough concept art to really make an opinion. I don't think we should take to much away from what Disney has publicly shown up to now. Because chances are it won't make the final cut. Disney probarely has another 2 years before it needs to make serious plans on what will being going inside the new park. Like we have seen with the Fantasyland expansion project. Disney are not afraid to make changes late in the construction phase.

4. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By FerretAfros

>>An 11 acre (46,130 square meters), one-of-a-kind, dynamic green space will welcome guests to Shanghai Disneyland and provide the perfect spot to view the parade or nightly fireworks.<<

Am I reading this wrong, or does that mean that they will have parades outside the theme park gates?

5. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Witches of Morva

ORDDU: One thing is for sure. It's high time that Shanghai Disneyland received it's own section among the Discussion Boards instead of lumping it in with the Hong Kong Section.

ORWEN: Yeah, let's not be so silly around here!

ORGOCH: Got borderlines?

6. See Post

See Post New Member

^^ I agree with that, especially since they have already had the ground breaking ceremony.

- Anatole

7. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By FerretAfros

HKDL didn't have its own section until well after groundbreaking. I guess it's a little different, since they had to create the land for HKDL, but I believe it was less than a year before opening that the HKDL section of the LP boards came into existence (until that point, most of the discussions were in the Tokyo section). Given how much traffic they usually see, I don't see much of a problem keeping Shanghai and Hong Kong together for a while.

8. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By davewasbaloo

>>>Am I reading this wrong, or does that mean that they will have parades outside the theme park gates?<<<

I don't think so FA, I think it means instead of a MSUSA, you will go through the gates into a manicured set of gardens (like Alton Towers used to be, or Tivoli Gardens).

9. See Post

See Post New Member

At #7, two wrongs don't make a right. Keeping HKDL in Tokyo strikes me as just wrong, I guess because they are both in Asia it seemed like a good connection, but to me it's like keeping news of the opening of Paris Disneyland lumped in with the Disneyland section.

They are completely different countries and deserve their own sections, traffic or not.

- Anatole

10. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Bob Paris 1

It's more like saying "Because both DLR and WDW are on the same continent they should just both be discussed in the DL Section".

11. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Malin

*** They are completely different countries and deserve their own sections, traffic or not ***

Looking at it from a traffic point of view for one second. I think it may be time to consider combining some of the sub forums together. I see the reason why having DL and WDW sections kept seperate. But Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Paris are mostly ghost towns and could maybe benefit more from a combined area. Thats my view anyway...

12. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Witches of Morva

ORDDU: I think you're inviting all kinds of confusion whenever you combine different theme parks from different countries in onw section. For instance, if you want to create a topic about HKDL and someone else forgets which park you're talking about, they might start responding as if they thought it was a Tokyo Disneyland topic. Can you imagine the misunderstandings? Besides, over on the other Disney messaage boards, there are separate topic threads for each country and it works out just fine for them. It would work out just fine for Laughing Place, too.

13. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Dr Hans Reinhardt

Although the possibility of a uniquely designed layout for Shanghai Disneyland sounds interesting, and the resort areas look compelling in the concept art (specifically the lake in front of the theme park), there's something about each new Magic Kingdom park announcement that I find vaguely depressing. For example, why do the Asian parks have cloned castles from the States? Also, it troubles me when an American giant like Disney tries to cater to locals (Chinese ribbon dancers, Mickey and Minnie in traditional garb, etc) when obviously all are they interested in is exploiting the vast rapidly growing Chinese consumer market. Oh well, maybe I should just jump on the bandwagon and let it be.

On another note, am I that only one who noticed from the video that Bob Iger gets Botox treatments?

14. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By dagobert

Disney And More has posted two new pictures of the castle, which had been released by Shanghai Daily.

<a href="http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2011/08/more-about-shanghai-disneyland.html" target="_blank">http://disneyandmore.blogspot....and.html</a>

There are also new informations about a slow flume ride around Fantasyland that starts at the ground floor of the castle.

The castle will not be named after a princess. According to Tom Staggs, it will be named "Fantastic Fairytale Castle".

15. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By friarthe

<<Also, it troubles me when an American giant like Disney tries to cater to locals (Chinese ribbon dancers, Mickey and Minnie in traditional garb, etc) when obviously all are they interested in is exploiting the vast rapidly growing Chinese consumer market.>>

While I agree with your point, Dr. Reinhardt, I'd suggest that the "Mickey as a Peking Opera Star" merch is for foreigners like myself, who think it's cute. My Chinese friends have been amused, but a little mystified, by it. But yeah, it is pure lip-service.

On the other hand, we did Stitch Encounter (the HKDL one) for the first time yesterday and Stitch's behavior was DEFINITELY aimed at the local crowd. His way of flirting with girls in the audience is 100% Chinese (or Asian, I'm not much of an expert).

Similarly, including Marie from Aristocats in SW, on merch, and in "hip young people" clothing stores across China (H&M, UNIQLO) is also catering to the local audience. Not to mention the pimping out of Duffy everywhere, which is HUGE over here. Now THAT'S exploiting the Asian market, but a smart way of doing it.

Anyhow, I totally agree with your point. They're throwing out "Look, we're adapting!" images, but I think those images are aimed at us. Their actual adaptation techniques are more astute, but yes, aimed at filthy lucre.

16. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By dagobert

Antem on Micechat found a great video with some concept arts of the new SHDL park.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzlL-IPB0xg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...L-IPB0xg</a>

The concept arts can be seen at 5:45.