"New" Gibson Girl Ice Cream, etc.

Discussion in 'Disneyland News, Rumors and General Discussion' started by See Post, May 6, 2012.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By 1Gee1

I walked through the 'new and improved' ice cream parlor yesterday. It looked really nice and seems like it will be a lot more efficient than it was before. The service counter now goes straight across the back of the store and is more "woody" looking.

Also, the Arcade/Candy Palace is back in business and showing changes, mainly in counter placement. Taking the display cases/service counters out of the center of the rooms opens things up a lot. I don't really care for the new inside windows to watch candy being made though. They're way too high for children or shorter people to see. (Guess they'll have to go outside.)

2. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Bellella

Please tell me they still have that beautiful green-glass elephant.

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By CuriousConstance

I heard the elephant is gone. I think it's posted in the other thread.

4. See Post

See Post New Member

Here it is:

<a href="http://mb.laughingplace.com/MsgBoard-T-123567-P-1.asp" target="_blank">http://mb.laughingplace.com/Ms...-P-1.asp</a>

Although, I'm sure it could be back and is just not ready yet or something.

5. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By 999HAUNTS

The elephant is definitely gone. Where it once stood is now a peek in window to watch them make the ice cream cones. Gibson Girl is now also mostly attached to the candy store, which has also been vastly improved to make walk through flow more efficient. It's completely newly laid out and has a much more WDW feel to it IMO.

6. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By 999HAUNTS

I do agree that the candy watching windows are awkwardly placed, but it's nice to have more space to watch than before.

7. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By fkurucz

>>Where it once stood is now a peek in window to watch them make the ice cream cones.<<

A few years ago (2005 IIRC) we were watching them make the waffle cones when one of the waffle irons started to shoot sparks. The gals high tailed it out of there really fast!

8. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Dr Hans Reinhardt

Interesting Art Nouveau designs in the new ice creamery. Odd since Main Street is mostly Victorian. Maybe it was that way before, but can't remember what the old ice cream shop's decor looked like.

9. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By DBitz2

I don't think Main Street has ever featured Art Nouveau decor before that I can remember. Gibson Girl wasn't Art Nouveau before. But, the time period when Art Nouveau was in vogue does fit the time period of Main Street. I personally love Art Nouveau and have some items in my home, so I am thrilled to see it introduced into Disneyland.

The glass elephant was introduced (I believe) during the fairly major revamp of Carnation/Gibson Girl/Penny Arcade/Candy Palace that took place in the mid-1990's. I don't see it coming back, as there really isn't room for it now. The cow and bull figures that were once in DCA's bountiful farm are now in the Big Thundeer Ranch Jamboree area as props, so maybe the elephant will show up somewhere else eventually!

10. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By crapshoot

<<Maybe it was that way before, but can't remember what the old ice cream shop's decor looked like.>>

The original shop was definitely Victorian in its styling. Deep rich dark walnut cabinetry, red and white vertical striped wall paper on the back bar wall. And the metal stamped ceiling panels.

11. See Post

See Post New Member

Disneygeek.com photos of the newly opened sections

Scroll through for more photos.

<a href="http://disneygeek.com/updates/disneyland_update.php?page_id=34&update_dir=2012_05_05" target="_blank">http://disneygeek.com/updates/...12_05_05</a>

12. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Bellella

Doesn't look too Art Deco to me.

Goodbye elephant. Just another wonderful civic improvement brought to you by the good people of Main Street. :mad:

13. See Post

See Post New Member

Art Deco is not the same as Art Douveau

14. See Post

See Post New Member

ummm... Nouveau.

15. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By gurgitoy2

I noticed the art nouveau detailing too and thought it was an interesting choice.

16. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Autopia Deb

In the simplest terms, Art Deco is very geometric, lots of straight lines whereas Art Nouveau is more "swirly".

17. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By DBitz2

>>Just another wonderful civic improvement brought to you by the good people of Main Street. :mad: <<

The reconfigurations of these facilities, and to many of the other Main Street and other stores, is something that has been very much needed to accommodate today's Park crowds. It is a lot easier to get around now in the redone stores and hopefully, the lines will move quicker in Gibson Girl and the Candy Palace. Personally, I am glad that Disney is doing something to make visiting the stores a more pleasant experience. It is nice to now not have to fight my way through the stores like they were an obstacle course.

18. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By DlandDug

You know, when that elephant was introduced to the small dining area at the back of the ice cream parlor, there were doubtless some pouty individuals who wanted them to leave the area just the way it ALWAYS was-- as a video arcade.

And before that, when that area was turned into a video arcade, I am sure there were some who deplored losing that area in its ORIGINAL form-- as the Main Street Shooting Gallery. (After all, that was the way WALT knew it.)

If only we could keep ALL of Disneyland just the way it ALWAYS was. What a wonderful place it would be...

19. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Schmitty Good Vibes

I remember the Main Street shooting gallery and got to shoot there. I don't want to know how many injuries there were to the cast members at this and the other shooting galleries (Adventureland was by far my favorite) as they used live rounds.

And yes, I kind of miss the video gallery, but better still, I miss the old hokey games they had that worked on a form of the "Pepper's Ghost" effect. The best arcede ever was the Pirate's Arcade. I miss that every time I go to the Park.

And I'll miss the elephant. I think I might have a picture somewhere. That'll do.

And Doug, I want Disneyland as it ALWAYS was. With a People Mover and Flying Saucers and Mine Train Through Natures Wonderland and the Rainbow Caverns and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Pirates of the Caribbean and the Indian Village and Bear Country and the Midget Autopia........

20. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By tonyanton

Someone mentioned elsewhere that perhaps the elephant will reappear somewhere on Buena Vista Street. I can also see him going into one of the stores in Paradise Pier when they finally revamp them inside and out.