"New" Gibson Girl Ice Cream, etc.

Discussion in 'Disneyland News, Rumors and General Discussion' started by See Post, May 6, 2012.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Dabob2

<Someone mentioned elsewhere that perhaps the elephant will reappear somewhere on Buena Vista Street. I can also see him going into one of the stores in Paradise Pier when they finally revamp them inside and out. >

Good point. For all we know, the elephant is sitting in Elias and Company as we speak, waiting the unveiling.

The elephant isn't a big deal to me, but I DO miss the old time Penny Arcade, circa 60's/early 70's when they had all those low-tech machines that might have been at home in 1910, along with some more modern (but not TOO modern) ones. The more modern they got, the less the place seemed to fit Main Street.

To this day I have to stick a few pennies in the few remaining crank-up-a-movie machines or it just isn't a trip to DL.

2. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By tonyanton

I see the Penny Arcade situation at DL as a compromise. I think it stopped being listed as an attraction in the late '90s the last time their was a push/expansion of the Candy Palace and Ice Cream Parlour. I think the team at DL does recognize the local fanbase, which is why the name "Penny Arcade" still exists and their still appears to be about 10 or so different machines, plus the organ.

Having grown up going to WDW, I can tell you this is MUCH better than the poor arcade in Florida, which disappeared completed in one shot, replaced by a "sports" store, and now a generic clothing space.

Also, DL still has a legitimate Main Street Cinema attraction. WDW has a shop with a cinema theme and Tokyo's was absorbed by their Emporium about 10 years ago (even the facade there is gone).

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By tashajilek

"If only we could keep ALL of Disneyland just the way it ALWAYS was. What a wonderful place it would be..."

No thank you.

I will miss the Elephant a little, it really was a beautiful piece.

4. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Dr Hans Reinhardt

I think that Disney should build or move what's left of the arcade and create something akin to the Musee Mecanique in San Francisco over at Paradise Pier. It actually would make a lot more sense thematically on the boardwalk there than on Main Street.

5. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Yookeroo

I'm gonna spearhead a letter writing campaign to bring back the elephant! I wonder if bringbackthegibsongirlicecreamparlorelephant.com is available.

"I think that Disney should build or move what's left of the arcade and create something akin to the Musee Mecanique in San Francisco over at Paradise Pier. It actually would make a lot more sense thematically on the boardwalk there than on Main Street."

I love this idea.

6. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By DlandDug

>>Someone mentioned elsewhere that perhaps the elephant will reappear somewhere on Buena Vista Street. I can also see him going into one of the stores in Paradise Pier when they finally revamp them inside and out.<<

That would be a good fit.

>>I think it stopped being listed as an attraction in the late '90s the last time their was a push/expansion of the Candy Palace and Ice Cream Parlour. I think the team at DL does recognize the local fanbase...<<

Bingo! The original candy shop expansion called for eliminating all the penny arcade machines in favor of revenue generating shelf space. The Imagineers really went to bat to retain not just the atmosphere, but many of the actual machines. But it did, indeed, cease to operate as an actual Penny Arcade attraction.

7. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By DBitz2

It's interesting that so many people were so attached to the elephant when it really hadn't been there all that long, having been introduced during a mid-1990's revamp. I believe the elephant came from Disneyland Paris. I don't remember the circumstances of why they gave it to Disneyland. Maybe Dug does. I need to dig out the old newsletters from when I was newsletter editor for our LA NFFC/DFC chapter. I remember there being a whole backstory to the "new" Blue Ribbon Bakery/Gibson Girl/Candy Palace facilities with all kinds of interesting information.

8. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Bellella

Wait. They had a VIDEO ARCADE? On MAIN STREET? The only land where something like that would fit would be in Tomorrowland. And it does. Starcade is perfectly fine.