New Years in Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland' started by See Post, Aug 6, 2012.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By FerretAfros

It looks like my family will potentially have the opportunity to spend New Years in Hong Kong (sadly, I won't be able to take the time off to go with them), and I wanted to check and make sure that they won't be disappointed when they get there. I know that Hong Kong is home to one of the largest Lunar New Year celebrations in the world, but are there also celebrations for December 31/Januray 1?

They've started checking for hotels, and they're all mosre expensive than usual, so we suspect that there's something going on, but I just wanted to make sure. Hong Kong is such a multi-cultural city that I have to believe that they have some fun for both New Years-es.

2. See Post

See Post New Member

I guess I should also mention that they probably won't be spending any time at HKDL, but if there's something special going on, I might be able to convince them to check it out.

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By friarthe

New Years (Jan 1) is a big deal here, the same sort of parties and overpriced nights out as in the States. I live on the mainland, and expect it to be even bigger in HK than here. But, like in the States, it's largely geared towards people of a legal drinking/dancing/partying age.

I don't know about HKDL at New Year's.

4. See Post

See Post New Member

Sounds good! I just had a mental picture of them getting there, and it being business as usual. I guess it's one of the first major cities to ring in the new year, so it would make sense that they'd celebrate it in style