Podcast thoughts on DAK

Discussion in 'LaughingPlace.com' started by See Post, Apr 28, 2008.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By SIR at X-S Tech

Listening to your discussion of DAK's 10th Anniversary I was surprised to find myself thinking fondly of past trips to this park. You have to understand I really had no interst in DAK, ever. I guess the talk of the Beastly Kingdomme and Countdown to Extinction got my attention prior to opening, but once the park was open, I just couldn't work up the interst to go. I didn't have any dislike of it, just neutrality. I will asy that when DAK opened, I was just about Africa'd out. Seems like every where you turned Disney was creating some faux African sculpture, parade, or stage show, and to me it was getting old. How many times can you be impressed by people in animal costumes made of wood and grass? So a whole park in that vein was not for me. I'm a pretty rabid Disney fan, but after listening to Fanboy for so long, I know that there are bigger fans than myself. So no, I like what I like, but won't get into something simply because it's Disney.

A few years ago though my wife and I did visit DAK. We wern't overly impressed. I liked Dinosaur, and we both admired the care that was put into Kilamanjaro, but we both decided we probably wouldn't visit next time. It was too hot and there were always other things we'd rather do. Our next trip included our 2 and 1/2 year old, and we figured for her, we'd go to Animal Kingdom, so she could see the animals. And Everest was open so we wanted to do that. One great attraction does not a park make, but we enjoyed it and our daugher loved digging in the boneyard. The following year we went to WDW again, and this time both my wife and I talked a little more enthusiastically about visiting DAK. We didn't have the huge list of things we had to do or see like at Magic Kingdom or Epcot, but it was just sort of a given that we would go and it didn't seem so much like "time we could be at another park".

Listening to your discussion of DAK's 10th Anniversary I was surprised to find myself thinking fondly of these past trips and wondering when my feelings changed. I realized that DAK is the first park aside from Disneyland (as a child) where I really have fond memories of my experiences there, instead of the parks history. I didn't visit WDW until 1991 and Epcot until 1996, some would say, far past their glory days (especially EPCOT). Yet when thinking about what I like about these parks, it's often things I never got to experience or if so, very briefly, before they were gone forever. I love looking at old Vacationland Magazines and seeing people enjoying WDW 4 years before I was born and how relaxed they look lounging and dining in the Florida sun, even though my own experences there usually leave little time for the leisurely pace those old photos show. I still visit Epcot thinking I'm going to feel the same way I didn when Horizons was there, even though I have 4 trips without Horizons to remind me otherwise. In short, I'm the worst kind of Disney fan, and I'm sure the Company would hate a fan like myself. I go into the parks with preconcieved notions, not experenceing the moment, but trying to recapture the feeling of the parks' pasts. Somehow DAK got to me despite that mindset, and I find myself relaxing there. Unlike the other parks where I feel compelled to ride every attraction I can despite the fact that I don't like them nearly as much as whatever they replaced, at DAK I really do feel like I'm on vacation, just meandering and seeing what's around the next corner, instead of trying to hit that next fastpass time or get to my Disney Dining Appointment.

Keep up the great work guys!

2. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By SIR at X-S Tech

Oops I meant to delete the first line as I ended up using it later in the post! Doobie where's that edit feature those ads pay for?

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By magnet

I enjoyed reading your post, SIR.

What you said about Animal Kingdom reminded me of my own experience with the park. I’m wondering if anyone else has followed this same pattern. DAK was the first Disney park that I didn’t love the first time I walked through the gate. In all the other parks at WDW, the highest moment of expectation or excitement was on my first visit, and I thought the park was wonderful from the first day.

I didn’t feel this way about DAK.

In fact, after leaving the first day I thought that I wouldn’t return to it on the next trip. Now, the park is so high in my estimation that it competes very strongly with EPCOT. Honestly, EPCOT is starting to lose to it, for me at least. So, what happened?

Well, quality always wins you over. At first, it was not exactly what I was expecting from the park. I had a different vision of what it would be, and it took me a while to realize that what was there was actually better than what I was expecting. Also, it seemed like the park was rather empty and there was very little to do there. True, it has grown since I first visited, and that has improved things, but there really are a lot of things crammed in there that you may not notice if you experience the park the way you experience all the other parks. It forces you to slow down, and that’s a great aspect of its design.

As a side note, the other annoying aspect of the park (which I actually love about it now) is how easy it is to get lost inside the park. I’ve been there several times, so I know my way around, but it took me a while to understand the layout, and I was frequently getting lost between Africa and Asia. That was annoying because I wanted to zip around, but now I know how to relax there and enjoy it.

It’s great to leave a park liking it more than you did the last time you visited. I wish I could say the same for Hollywood Studios which lately just makes me wince, but I know it is getting some attention now, so I hope that will turn around soon.