Reasons to Visit HKDL?

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland' started by See Post, Apr 9, 2010.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By friarthe

So a lifelong dream of mine is to visit Hong Kong, and now that there's a park there I feel like I'd be a tool NOT to visit it. But I also feel like a tool visiting it just because.

I can think of several dozen reasons to hit Disneyland Paris or Disney Sea, but are there compelling reasons, as a Disney geek, to visit Hong Kong's park? Besides "better go there before it folds"?

I have heard wondrous things about the Jungle Cruise finale. More along those lines would be cool.

2. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Mr X

The location and scenery surrounding the park is unique and stunning.

The finale of the J.C. was pretty cool, all in all it's quite a different attraction compared to the other J.C.'s.

Um...

Er...

Did I mention the scenery surrounding the park? The mountains are beautiful out there behind the castle. Great picture spot.

Also, Hong Kong is an amazing city, you'll love it I'm sure!

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By trekkeruss

I've never been to Hong Kong, but I wouldn't feel like a tool for making a trip just to see HKDL, because if it turned out to be less than I expected, I know I would just be spending more time in one of the world's most exciting cities.

I suppose you might marvel at the Autopia there. It's the only MK park with electric cars.

4. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By SuperDry

<<< are there compelling reasons, as a Disney geek, to visit Hong Kong's park? >>>

The biggest one probably is to get another notch in your belt as far as another park you've visited. Also, you'll get a much better understanding of what it is that people are talking about when they discuss HKDL. The unique Jungle Cruise ending certainly isn't a reason to go.

I agree with what you said: you'd be a tool as Disney fan visiting Hong Kong to not go to the park. Also, you'd be a tool to go to HK and only visit the park (although maybe the park is just the excuse you need to otherwise visit the city).

5. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Malin

If your visiting Hong Kong anyway, absolutely you should visit!

HKDL version of the Jungle Cruise is rather unique traveling around a sort of Rivers of America lagoon with Tarzan Treehouse sitting in the middle.

Its a Small World offers a very unique version with an extended Asia scene. The parks Space Mountain is also worth riding and follows the newer Disneyland version. The entertainment is also very good with the Lion King and Golden Mickey's being excellent stage shows, and a lot of people enjoy the nightly fireworks show. To get greater vaule try and visit while one of the Seasonal events is running, the Halloween Glow in the Dark Parade looks amazing.

Personally while I would drop everything tomorrow for a chance to visit, if your looking for a serious reason to see the park, you should hold back on a visit until after the expansion is completed.

6. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Bob Paris 1

"But I also feel like a tool visiting it just because"

Never let anybody else's opinion or reasoning stop you from doing ANYTHING you might want to do.

You would be spending YOUR OWN hard earned money so damn where anybody else thinks you should visit or WHY.

7. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By friarthe

Thanks all. I know I'll end up visiting HK in the next 5 years or so (I adore big cities, and it's one of the most intriguing), so I'm just mulling over if it's worth giving up a day for the park.

Malin - You mean Small World at HKDL has a Korea that's more than 2 dolls off in a corner? Ha! Glad to hear it.

Bob - I completely agree. But to be honest, it's my own self-esteem that would suffer if I made the trip to a park that was just a smaller version of what I've already seen. (I'm too far down the Disney geek road to ever worry about what others think.)

But, for example, I've been to TDL twice but just don't see it worth visiting again for the sake of Pooh, the Pizza Restaurant, and... anything else? I honestly can't think of anything. I am THRILLED to have seen Meet the World before it closed -- the employees joked that we were fools to do that instead of watch the parade, but I RELISH having seen the show instead.

But at this point, offered a day at Kamakura or Yokohama, or a day at TDL, culture wins over my personal obsessions. TDS, on the other hand, I'd return to in a second.

Ignorant question - the expansion? I haven't followed the news. I'll Google around, but if there's a good source, lemme know.

Thanks!

8. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By barboy

///are there compelling reasons, as a Disney geek, to visit Hong Kong's park?///

Did you read X's statement about the HKDL's surroundings? That mountainous backdrop is very nice!

Also, you won't have to wait too long in lines for attractions.

Oh and that surfing Mickey statue at the entry is to die for.

9. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Mr X

***Oh and that surfing Mickey statue at the entry is to die for.***

Totally forgot about that Barboy...good point! It's pretty cool.

ALSO, and this might seem like a "nothing" deal, but for me the whole approach to HKDL is pretty special (even rivaling the monorail trip to the Magic Kingdom in Orlando, in fact).

You arrive by train (naturally), but wait...there's more!

You get to the platform NEAR HKDL, but not quite there yet, you get off of your "regular" subway train and wait a few minutes when suddenly (on the same platform, just on the other side of "normal"), up comes the "Disney Train".

When I saw pictures it didn't move me at all, but in person it's kind of a rush. For Harry Potter fans, it's sort of like platform 8 and 3/4 has suddenly materialized. Then you board the "Disney Train" for a quick ride and suddenly, you are immersed.

I dunno why I found that so cool, but I did.

I would include THAT as a very cool aspect of HKDL that can not be experienced anyplace else in the world. ;)

***But, for example, I've been to TDL twice but just don't see it worth visiting again for the sake of Pooh, the Pizza Restaurant, and... anything else? I honestly can't think of anything.***

Though I see your point, there *are* some other unique features to be sure. I suppose it depends on how much you enjoy the "difference in the details" as far as Disney parks are concerned (plus they've got some new stuff that can't be found elsewhere as well).

But as I said, I can see your point on a broader scale (a lot of it is "pretty much the same").

10. See Post

See Post New Member

"I am THRILLED to have seen Meet the World before it closed -- the employees joked that we were fools to do that instead of watch the parade, but I RELISH having seen the show instead."

Well, to be polite, hang them.

I am NOT a show or parade person(actually I think they are kinda lame and I think the people who camp out for six hours to wave at over-excited performers whizz past on a giant fiberglass Goofy head are a bit....uuuummmmm.....strange).

Personally, I think it is HIGKY innappropriate of ANY CMs making fun of ANY guests choices, especially if it's seeing a seminal AA show before it closed forever. Immersive AA experiences are, unfortunately, an endangered species at Disney parks and, personally, they are one of the main reasons I go(the other being the immersive experience created by exquisitely crafted architecture, environment, music, lighting and general "placemaking").

And yes, when I was at TDL in '01 I got to see MTW and I was glad I did too!

11. See Post

See Post New Member

Of course that should read "HIGHLY".

And "guests" should have had a possessive apostrophe.

12. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Anatole69

I haven't been to HKDL but I have been to Hong Kong. I didn't find anything there that couldn't be found in many other cities... a lot of shopping, restaurants and more shopping. It was a very disappointing experience for me. The city I came from, San Francisco, had as much Chinese culture as Hong Kong, if not more actually.

Tokyo has much more culture to offer than Hong Kong does, so it wins as far as the host city is concerned, and Hong Kong has more pollution to boot. I would rather go to mainland China if I want to experience Chinese culture, or Taiwan... than Hong Kong.

Having said that, I will probably go back to HK within the next year or so... mainly because I am into Chinese culture and language.

- Anatole

13. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Mickeymouseclub

BobParis has a profound(for me anyway) comment with the "Immersive AA experiences are,unfortunately, an endangered species at Disney Parks". Now I have a mission to make a personal list and find ways to encourage support. Maybe we need an entirely new discussion for this....thinking...and worrying about endangered species.

14. See Post

See Post New Member

The Monsters Inc ride at TDL is an AA dark ride... so they haven't gone away. The new Haunted Mansion ride at HKDL will be an AA dark ride, and so will their test track bear ride in the Western section.

- Anatole

15. See Post

See Post New Member

TLM attraction at DCA will be an AA dark ride, and the new WWOHP has some AA figures in it... so maybe they are so endangered after all. lol.

- Anatole

16. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By tashajilek

Why arent the lines at hkdl that long? has the dl concept not caught on yet at HK?

17. See Post

See Post New Member

No - the locals have cottoned on to the fact that this is a half day park built on the cheap by a company that wants to fleece the seemingly unsuspecting locals into parting with their hard earned cash for a McDisney Park experience.

The additions(sans Toy Story Play Area)will go someway towards alleviating this perception. Unfortunately, like "the DCA Problem" that has "challenged" contemporary company management, this little semi-park is already tarred with the brush of mediocrity and the damage, aka bad word of mouth, has already been done.

In the shrill and very voluminous words of one LP contributor(WD), "WILL THEY NEVER LEARN?!?!?!?!!"

18. See Post

See Post New Member

And for the record, I personally don't feel these additions are enough. They go SOMEWAY towards helping but they should open with the groundbreaking of an IMMEDIATE Phase Three development, including more unique E tix and immersive environments.

19. See Post

See Post New Member

^^ HKDL will always have the problem of having to neogotiate between DisCo and the HK government for new funds for expansion. At least with DCA it was a matter of getting DisCo to part with a couple billion. With HKDL you have to have both parties in agreement, which is why this park will always be hampered from developing the way it needs to.

- Anatole

20. See Post

See Post New Member

^^ The locals are already pre-sold on the DL concept, they know the characters and are ready for a DL park, but not enough money was invested into this park the first time and I believe it was originally built with the intention of being an international park and with not enough emphasis on the locals.

- Anatole