Sep 13 Jim Hill Column

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News, Rumors and General Disc' started by See Post, Sep 12, 2001.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Doobie

This topic is for discussion of the September 11th Jim Hill Column. This article is at: <a href="News-ID115460.asp" target="_blank">http://LaughingPlace.com/News-ID115460.asp</a>.

2. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By bhb007

I just hope that visitors to Disney parks who find the American Adventure, The Hall of Presidents, or Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln a little boring will greatly reconsider their feelings, in light of recent events.

Walt Disney understood that in the grand scheme of things, our fun and games are just that. I think he wanted those guests leaving the park to reflect, at least for an instant, on the wonderous concept that is a America. A concept that is so great, that it even permits us to follow "the pursuit of happiness" to Magic Kingdoms ruled by a benevolent mouse.

The concept of America deserves our appreciation. And we always need to acknowledge the fact that there are times when it even demands our sacrifice. Maybe theme park goers will consider that between rides on Test Track and Space Mountain, perhaps it's okay to spend a moment contemplating issues more profound in one of the dignified little presentations available at our Disney parks...

"We here highly resolve that this dead shall not have died in vain..." Abraham Lincoln, The Gettysburg Address

-Bond in Cinci

PS-If anyone could post the complete lyrics to the song at the conclusion of "The American Adventure" I'd really appreciate it...

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Britain

I'd like to thank Jim Hill for writing this column. I keep coming by the website only to not be in the mood to discuss silly arguements over theme parks, and I'm glad Jim put together this article that was rather applicable for us all.

I do wonder why many in academic America disdain so much all those ideas WDI had for Disney's America. If they would only see The American Adventure at EPCOT, surely they would see that this would not be a saccarine display of commercial Disney at its worst. Disney can create fine art, meaningful art, which educates and moves us to tears, and The American Adventure is still Disney's greatest example of that.

4. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By SJHYM

I have met Randy Bright and his death several years ago was very sad. I believe that The American Adventure is not only a wonderful tribute to our country but to one of Disney's greatest talents.

5. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By hopemax

Golden Dream

[Male singer]
    America, spread your golden wings
    Sail on freedom's wind, across the sky.
    Great bird, with your golden dreams
    flying high, flying high.

[Female Singer]
    Restless one in a world of change,
    keeping dreams aloft in the rain.
    Spirit free, soaring through the clouds
    of time, of time.

[Male Singer]
    America, you must keep dreaming now
    Dreaming the promised vow of your pioneers
    America, keep on flying now.
    Keep your spirit free.
    Facing new frontiers.

[Both]
    America, spread your golden wings
    Sail on freedom's wind across the sky.
    Great bird with your golden dreams,
    Flying high, flying high,
    Flying high, flying high!

6. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By reddon

Thanks, Jim. It's time and article like this that makes your column special.

7. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By jbponzi

When the events of September 11, 2001 began to unfold and the true magnitude of the tragedy was beginning to be revealed, I started to sing a song to myself. A song that I have found comfort in many times before, and "Golden Dreams" is that song.

I will never forget the first time I saw the American Adventure. I read much about it beforehand and was really more interested in seeing Ben Franklin walk up the stairs. What I did not expect was the overpowering passion of the Golden Dream and the path required to find it. Walking out of the theater I felt so glad to be an American, and each time I see this show that same feeling washes over me.

The sad part is watching others during the show and then listening to the reaction afterwards. What I have come to discover is that those who find this show trite and boring are themselves citizens of the United States. While those who come to visit Epcot from other countries find the show to be most inspiring. So much so that I would not be surprised if there was a place to sign up for US citzenship at the exit, they would do so.

My wish for not only this time of great strife, but for all time, is that the visitors to this show would just sit back and let it over take them and they would then truly see what it is like to be an American. Just like all those who are risking their lives to help others.

Take Care,
    Justin

8. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Kevin Page

A great piece by Jim. I honestly did not know anything about Randy Bright and didn't know who he was before this.

I was always incredibley moved and filled with such a sense of pride after seeing this on our numerous visits to the park. Part of me was always upset & angered that it did not do the same to my fiancee, my sister, and her boyfriend.

I just hope that more people will appreciate this now and take away how great it is to be an American & how kind/strong/resilent people we are.

Take care

Kevin Page

9. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By MouseBear

Salutations Jim and All,

Thank you for reminding all of us what Disney can be at its best. Like many Disney attractions The American Adventure reminds of of what is good, and right, and beautiful in all of us.

Thanks for sharing this when we needed to hear it,

Lee

10. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By newrush

Jim,

Once again you have made me smile when life can't.

Please, could you give us more detail about Randy's life? I would love to no more about this man.

11. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By fabdisbabe

Randy was also one of the bright (yes) minds behind Star Tours and the simulator as attraction idea.

I have a picture of him as the spaceman with my brother, age eight or so, at Disneyland. I hope they said hi to each other on the other side.

Randy was brilliant, Jim put it best: the Imagineer's Imagineer.

Thanks for a wonderful article Jim.

Michelle (Fab)

12. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By daffy1

This past week I grow up. Jim I don't understand why people will fight over things that happend at WDW,DL,TDL,TDS ,and DLP. I was planing to go to WDW this year but right now I gust don't feel like going. I love Disney moives and parks. I feel like I lost my Laughing Place. I will not give up on the U.S.A. will help all that I can. I will go back to WDW I gust don't know when. Daffy1
    GOD bless the USA