Shanghai Disneyland News And Updates

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland' started by See Post, Mar 6, 2013.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By dagobert

The D23 Twitter Account just released a new picture of SDL.

<a href="http://twitpic.com/c96crp" target="_blank">http://twitpic.com/c96crp</a>

2. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By u k fan

Is that the back or the front of the Castle? If that's the hub it seems strange to have water and what I assume is an attraction under that awning in that location!!!

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By FerretAfros

They announced early on that the park wouldn't have a traditional Main Street, but would instead have the entrance area be a landscaped park. The spinner rides in front of the castle were part of all that. I think it's an odd choice to have a relatively unmemorable entrance to the park, but they seem confident that it will resonate better with the Chinese demographic.

Here's what I wrote about the castle in the Shareholder Meeting thread:

I've got to admit, it's not my favorite. It looks like the oh-so-corporate combination castle that they use for the logo before and after the films (and on DVDs/blu-Rays). I understand that they needed the building to have a lot of volume for the various things they're putting inside, but it just doesn't look terribly elegant to me.

And is that a Christmas tree sitting between the castle and carousel? Seems like a strange choice for this sort of concept image

4. See Post

See Post New Member

I'm also not a fan of the castle, DLP still has the most beautiful castle.

>>>They announced early on that the park wouldn't have a traditional Main Street, but would instead have the entrance area be a landscaped park.<<<

I thought SDL will have some kind of Main Street, at least first concept arts suggested that, but it would be designed after Disney characters and not after turn of the century US city. I know it was just an early concept art, but didn't one of the first pictures show Main Street under a canopy.

The concept art I'm talking about can be found here:
    <a href="http://disneyandmore.blogspot.co.at/2012/04/shanghai-disneyland-update-new-artwork.html" target="_blank">http://disneyandmore.blogspot....ork.html</a>

5. See Post

See Post New Member

This plan posted by RandySavage on WDWMagic shows a smaller Main Street and no canopy.

<a href="http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/2013-shareholders-meeting-game-thread.861096" target="_blank">http://forums.wdwmagic.com/thr...d.861096</a>

6. See Post

See Post New Member

That's interesting. It looks like the entrance street will be a lot shorter than the current Main Streets, but perhaps with a much longer cross-street. Or perhaps the scale of the plaza is so large that it just makes the regular street length look tiny in comparison (though I doubt that).

The WDW Magic link took me to the first page of a discussion thread, which didn't appear to have any images/links on it. What page was the post on?

7. See Post

See Post New Member

Here's the link again, otherwise page 13.

<a href="<a href="http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/2013-shareholders-meeting-game-thread.861096/page-13#post-5357210" target="_blank">http://forums.wdwmagic.com/thr...-5357210</a>">2013 Shareholders Meeting: Game Thread</a>

8. See Post

See Post New Member

Okay, it doesn't work, so I try it again.

<a href="http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/2013-shareholders-meeting-game-thread.861096/page-13#post-5357210" target="_blank">http://forums.wdwmagic.com/thr...-5357210</a>

9. See Post

See Post New Member

Thanks! Looking at that layout, I think it will be very interesting to have the center of the par essentially be a void. It could make for a really nice space during the busy parts of the day, since it's never too far away, yet won't really attract people as a destination within the park. I'll be interested to see how it turns out

10. See Post

See Post New Member

Disney & More has posted a new article regarding SDL.

<a href="http://disneyandmore.blogspot.co.at/2013/03/shanghai-disneyland-gardens-of.html" target="_blank">http://disneyandmore.blogspot....-of.html</a>

11. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By SuperDry

"Gardens of Imagination" ?

I remember how we were told leading up to the opening of HKDL how "Chinese people like gardens." Unfortunately in that case, it was used as an excuse to not put in very many actual attractions and think that landscaping would make up for it. Let's hope they don't make the same mistake twice.

12. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By u k fan

Why are they not using the Partners statue? Surely that would make more sense for this park!!!

13. See Post

See Post New Member

I didn't realize that it was a photo of a model! I thought that it was a computer rendering. Looking at the detail photos, it looks like there were definitely some digital touch-ups, but it's neat to see how much detail they cram into that model

I also agree that it's strange that they're using the Storytellers(?) statue from DCA, rather than the Partners one from the other parks. Maybe thy think it will be better to have one at ground level, rather than elevated in a planter.

The article also references speakers for a fountain show, but I believe the author is mistaken. Those speakers look like the ones along the parade route in DCA; if you look at the full photo, you'll see that the parade route runs right along the bottom edge of the photo, where those speakers are seen near the water. If they were going to have a fountain show in the pond, they would probably use much larger speakers (the World of Color rigs are huge), and would most certainly have a better viewing area.

I suspect that, if they do have a fountain show, it will be more similar to Dreams from DLP, using the large body of water and stage (possible Fantasmic! influences?) in front of the castle. I believe that the Fantasyland boat ride will also use that canal, but it could certainly be used for both if the boats stop running during the show.

And speaking of World of Color, is it just me, or do the 'gazebos' (the author claimed they'd be for character meet & greets) look a lot like the not-terribly memorable-or-scenic archways in the WOC viewing area? I know that Disney likes to recycle designs, but why recycle such a utilitarian structure that isn't particularly appealing?

>>Let's hope they don't make the same mistake twice.<<

I agree! It sounds like the park has a pretty decent roster of attractions (though I haven't heard anything in a couple years), but I'm always a little worried when they put so much emphasis on a non-attraction area.

14. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By SuperDry

<<< It sounds like the park has a pretty decent roster of attractions (though I haven't heard anything in a couple years) >>>

Both of those were true for HKDL. There were several more attractions mentioned during the announcement press conference, including E-Tickets, that mysteriously disappeared from the park between that time and when it actually opened, with nary an explanation given.

Let's hope that Shanghai doesn't get Hong Kong'd!

15. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By oc_dean

Tomorrowland looks pretty underdeveloped.

Like most "MK" parks in the beginning ... Business as usual!

16. See Post

See Post New Member

>>>Why are they not using the Partners statue? Surely that would make more sense for this park!!!<<<

I hope it's just an error and that the Partners Statue will come to SDL.

Would SDL be the first park to feature the statue from the beginning, or was HKDL the first?

Hopefully one day the Partner Statue will be relocated in Paris. It belongs into DLP instead of WDSP.

17. See Post

See Post New Member

I don't think HKDL has the statue. They've had several different temporary things set up in the hub for their seasonal celebrations, which makes me think that they don't have a statue. On my visit in 2006, they didn't have anything special set up in the hub, but I really can't remember what was there.

Was the statue at WDSP when it opened? Or did they add it around the time they added the TOT/Hollywood Blvd stuff?

18. See Post

See Post New Member

>>>Was the statue at WDSP when it opened? Or did they add it around the time they added the TOT/Hollywood Blvd stuff?<<<

If I'm not mistaken, the statue is in the park since it opened in 2002. I think it was for the 10th anniversary of DLRP. It was definitely already there when we visited DLP for the first time in 2006.

19. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By HokieSkipper

Just to pop in about the "Main Street", I believe there will be a small Main Street called "Mickey Avenue" at the front of Shanghai.

But I'm really excited about SHDL. Many things I'm hearing are incredibly interesting and exciting...save for Toy Story Playland.

20. See Post

See Post New Member

>>>But I'm really excited about SHDL. Many things I'm hearing are incredibly interesting and exciting...save for Toy Story Playland.<<<

Another TSPL? What's so special about these three carnival rides that WDI wants to add them to SDL.