Toy Story Mania

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland' started by See Post, Apr 24, 2009.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Malin

According to the Blue Sky Disney Blog Toy Story Mania is in the planning stages for Hong Kong Disneyland. <a href="http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2009/04/blue-sky-buzz-toys-for-everyone.html" target="_blank">http://blueskydisney.blogspot....one.html</a>

Personally I think its a terrible idea, I've been on the attraction and its fun, but its not what this park needs. I also don't see where this attraction will fit in at this park. Reading this news I have deep concerns that Hong Kong Disneyland's reputation of being the clone park is going to continue get worst. The blog by the way hints TDS will be getting a Toy Story Mania very soon, and so will Disneyland Paris. I could agree with the decision to clone the attraction if it would make a fantastic addition, but Toy Story Mania is not that good in the first place. If Disney are so high on cloning attractions why not clone some of the good ones like TDL Pooh.

2. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Anatole69

If TSMM goes into DSP then it's ok. So far they have been putting this attraction into their second gate parks, which I think is a good idea.

It's a terrible idea to put this into HKDL. It is too similar to BLAB. If both attractions are in different parks then it doesn't make a big difference, but putting them into the same park just points out the redundancies between the rides.

I agree with Malin, HKDL doesn't need stop gap repairs, it needs real e tickets and a couple of more themed lands.

- Anatole

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Bob Paris

So on the DCA timeline scale, HKDL is about at the "Summer Concert"/BMX stnt show stage, right?

Damn - you'd think the new brass would've learned from the old idiots in charge what works and what doesn't.

Ai agree with the above poster. Nothing short of the announcement that FL/WL being built with WRE would get me the least bit interested.

4. See Post

See Post New Member

Ai should be "I".

5. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By SuperDry

<<< Reading this news I have deep concerns that Hong Kong Disneyland's reputation of being the clone park is going to continue get worst. >>>

I don't think that "clones" are the problem with HKDL. That is, the poor attendance, much of which seems to be from expected visitors from mainland China, are unlikely to not be going to HKDL just because there are many attractions that are the same at other parks half way around the world.

6. See Post

See Post New Member

I think it's HKDL's reputation of being a half-built park with expensive food and not enough to do that is keeping the mainlanders away, that and the difficulty in getting a tourist visa to HK and the expense of going there.

The clone park part isn't keeping the Chinese tourists away, IMO.

- Anatole

7. See Post

See Post New Member

I agree that having clone attractions is not the big issue, but I feel a lot of people including some Mainland tourist are looking for something unique with this park. Its A Small World was on the right track here, but if the rumours are true about Toy Story Mania, its like the park is taking a step backwards here. There are a number of top Disney attractions waiting to be cloned that would offer a far better expereince for the park Guest than Toy Story Midway Mania. Like whats previously stated in another thread whats stopping the few Mainland tourist who can actually visit the park, instead visiting somewhere else. We can all agree this park is in desperate need of new attractions thats going to put HKDL on the map and allow it to become a serious threat to other near by attractions. But if your going to build attractions, these need to be the right ones, the same ones that we fell in love with on our first trips to the parks. Does TSM fall into this category, I think not.

8. See Post

See Post New Member

I want to back track a bit on the above post, because I've given it some serious thought and maybe this is a good move after all. Anyone who's actually been to the park will be able to tell you how well recieved the 3D attraction mickey's philharmagic is, with Guest reaching out to grab objects. Its a no brainer this attraction is a favourite amoung park Guest, and Toy Story Mania which also uses the 3D technology would probarely also go down well here. So I can now kind of see what Disney is doing here!

9. See Post

See Post New Member

Instead of building TSMM they should be building Peter Pan. This is a signature ride that every other park has and just because Toy Story 3 is coming out soon doesn't mean Disney should neglect an essential ride in favor of promoting their upcoming film.

- Anatole

10. See Post

See Post New Member

TSMM and iasw do have something in common: lower construction costs than other E-ticket attractions.

11. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Mr X

***It is too similar to BLAB***

It's a toss-up on whether this one or MILF deserve the moniker "worst acronym ever". :p

***TSMM and iasw do have something in common: lower construction costs than other E-ticket attractions.***

They also have something else in common...

They're not E-tickets. ;)

12. See Post

See Post New Member

Sure they are - E-tickets don't have to be thrill rides.

13. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By FerretAfros

But they do have to be high quality and immersive. I would never say that the Haunted Mansion is a thrill ride, but it is most definatley an E-ticket. I just can't bring myself to say that TSMM is anywhere near that same level of detail. It's darn fun and they did a great job of making it what it is, but by no stretch of the imagination (to me, at least) is it an E-ticket. It's a solid D, but I just can't say that it's on the same level as any of the great E's.

14. See Post

See Post New Member

<<< But they do have to be high quality and immersive. >>>

What about iasw? I guess it does have the benefit that TSMM doesn't have in that as a matter of historical fact iasw was an actual E-ticket attraction.

15. See Post

See Post New Member

TSMM is not an eticket in my opinion.

If they fully themed the ride instead of just having giant sized plasma screens and some murals on the walls of the show buildings, then I might change my mind.

- Anatole

16. See Post

See Post New Member

MILF, definitely.

What the HELL were they thinking?!?

17. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Mr X

***I guess it does have the benefit that TSMM doesn't have in that as a matter of historical fact iasw was an actual E-ticket attraction***

As were the Enchanted Tiki Room and the monorail, once upon a time. ;)

***Sure they are - E-tickets don't have to be thrill rides.***

Of course not, Pooh in Tokyo certainly qualifies as a "non-thrill E", as does Kilamanjaro Safari of course (albeit that one is unnecessarily, mildly thrilling).

But they DO have to be state of the art to the point of being jaw dropping, and I don't think either of these two qualify (sorry, Small World...your time has passed).

18. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Mr F

TSMM Is actually very fun, IF you can ride it over & over again Back to back. But unfortunately, since the lines is usually long, you can't.

I can see this ride thematically fitting into Frontierland, but HKDL doesn't even have a Frontierland, So I don't have a clue where they are going to put this ride, Maybe Fantasyland?

19. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By barboy

It's true that I really hate TSMM--- just not my kind of a ride in any way--- but fair is fair and the attraction is not an E experience whether I love it or hate it; I'd call it a solid D in scope and scale. I believe even Disney marketed(or at least higher up cast members deemed) it as more D like.

///But they(E's) DO have to be state of the art to the point of being jaw dropping///

I don't think that is a necessary feature to make E status. E's need to be bold in budget, scale and overall ambition---- they serve as super headliners to parks. State of the art technology may well(and usually does) come with an E but it isn't mandatory.

20. See Post

See Post New Member

Another thing about an E is that if done right, they become instant classics. Think of things like Splash Mountain or Indy: they instantly became anchor attractions and will not go out of fashion and lose that status over time.