Walmarted Disney World vs. UNI ...

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News, Rumors and General Disc' started by See Post, May 3, 2011.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Spirit of 74

... or we can subtitle this thread: why Disney is aiming for the bottom of the intellectual barrel (sorry friends here who enjoy WDW and will take this personally ... I'm not calling anyone names here, just stating an opinion) while UNI is aiming for and attracting a higher class clientele and offering a much better resort product.

I say that after just getting back a few hours ago from the best meal I've had in 2011 and one of the finest I've ever had in Orlando ... I'll give you a hint, my entree was under $20 and it wasn't at WDW.

No, I finally took a good friend's advive advice and went to Emeril's Tchoup Chop at the Royal Pacific Hotel and, after spending Sunday in UNI and IOA, my eyes really have opened as to what is really happening in O-Town.

Please, call the MAGICal fanbois in from playing with their plush and vinylmation because in the next few days I intend to weave a tale of why Disney has decided to go for the bottom (sure, why not have the same pool towels at the Grand Flo that you do at the POP? ... why have CMs that look and act professional and not like they're on Food Stamps -- although with what Disney pays them, they sure deserve them sadly!)

I never thought, after years of seeing UNI's guests as more rough and rude and crude, that I'd say they look and act upscale compared to the typical Disney audience, but I really believe that now.

That point was driven home tonight bigtime. But I don't have time to do more than start stirring the pot ... I do wonder what sane person would ever choose a meal at Kona Cafe or 'Ohana vs. Tchoup Chop.

But Disney hasn't been about sanity for many fans for a long time ... has it? How many people are more cult-like in their approach to the MAGIC and fail to see that pixie dust doesn't exist? It's all a state of mind.

You want to pay high prices for a company living off a legacy that has been so tarnished in O-Town that it is barely recognizable? Or do you want a company that is trying to do the most it can for its guests?

It isn't 1990 and UNI isn't the new kid on the block going up against the established leader in immersive family entertainment.

UNI doesn't need UNI23, blogging whores or marketing hype because the roles are reversed. Disney may be the biggest, but it certainly isn't the best in O-Town in anything but sheer size, variety of the same thing (think about it) and audacity.

Content is king, but Disney has wasted much of its amazing library while UNI just keeps plugging away.

Can't wait for Potter Phase II ... but yeah Disney is offering Star Tours 2.0 ... only a dozen or so years too late.

Let the fun commence ...

2. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By davewasbaloo

It seems that way my friend. similarly while we enjoyed our trip to Disneyland Paris (of course), the german resorts of Europa Park (written up on the DLP and Other Parks board) and Phantasialand (coming to a thread near you soon) show how they now out Disney, Disney.

It is really sad. The cult follower in me wants Disney to be the very best, and we know they can do it. But for some reason they have stopped.

We met a few people from Florida this last trip and I asked them their fav restaurant in your state. They all said Tchoup chop. I think that is telling!

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Mr X

I like Universal. I worked there, in fact.

BUT, in comparing one with the other, Universal was created quite a bit more cheaply than WDW and is lacking in concept (if not execution, these days) and so in MY humble opinion it still has a long way to go to match up to WDW.

I'm happy to hear they're bringing the "A-game" on though...that, more than anything, might just force the DisCo to step up their own efforts in Florida rather than rest on their laurels as they've apparently been doing lately.

4. See Post

See Post New Member

***in MY humble opinion it still has a long way to go to match up to WDW***

I should add that I'm looking at this resort vs resort, I'm not taking into consideration "how many parks" or anything along the lines of the SCOPE of WDW which will never be outdone, I'm quite sure of that.

As Dave has oft mentioned, Epcot and Animal Kingdom are the stars of the show in Florida. It'd be pretty tough to beat THAT (even with a dumbed down Epcot).

5. See Post

See Post New Member

I think this is the difficulty of comparison. Having ridden the e tickets innumerable times, it is the cleanliness, management, food quality, maintenance, service quality that enhance my expereince that gets my attention.

Disney has been slipping in all those areas when they used to be the standard bearer.

Maybe it is fortunate for you as your local parks are run to the standards Disney first set. Whereas Paris is far from these days between Big Thunder boulders hitting people; pirate ships rotting away; and shows that can only entice the very young (boring even my 5 year old). And the management were all trained at WDW.

Most of what is awesome at WDW or DLP were designed in the last Millenium with only a very few exceptions.

In the meantime, Tokyo gets the very best Fantasmic, and DCA gets a wonderful make over.

But WDW stagnates, DLP rots, and the other parks in their regions (UO and Europa Park/Phantasialand go from strength to strength).

I agree, for families with small kids UNI still falls short, but my kids are growing, and Sea World/Uni has much more interest from us than the Mouse. No, I don't want to play the Toy Story Game I have on my Wii (and it is a poor game) when I can be walking through Hogsmeade.

6. See Post

See Post New Member

If Europa Park had Illuminations, I would now say I prefer Europa Park to Epcot.

7. See Post

See Post New Member

Wow.

That's a heavy statement. (you have officially piqued my curiosity about that place, that's for sure!)

8. See Post

See Post New Member

Ok, there is no China, Japan or Morocco, but it has all the things most people love about Epcot and more.

If we were talking about 1980's Epcot, that Epcot wins. But comparing 2011 Epcot to 2011 Europa Park, I think I may have a preference for Europa Park. the AA's are not as cool, but the entertainment, gardens, food, attractions etc. are better IMHO. In the Germany section and Switzerland, they even relocated real buildings.

Epcot doesn't even really have that many crafts people from their countries of origin. Europa Park does (ok, a little easier as we are in Europe).

As for Asian culture, we got our fill at the Ling Bao and Phantasialand (report coming soon), as well as the increadible Expo pavillions in Brussels.

Ok, they are not in one little package, but our European vacation was FAR more enjoyable than our last trip to WDW and cost us far less too.

And the hotels were better than AKL in many ways too.

9. See Post

See Post New Member

X - I have sent you the info on Europa Park, and once I get the Phantasialand right up done, you may wish to check that one out.

10. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By RoadTrip

I really enjoy Universal Studios... I think it is definitely superior to Disney Studios and probably at least equal to the MK. But as far as I'm concerned Epcot and the AK still beat anything Universal Florida has to offer.

As for restaurants, your comparison is unfair. You are comparing Tchoup Chop to a couple of Disney hotel restaurants that while popular, certainly aren't known as the best restaurants at WDW. How does Tchoup Chop rate compared to the California Grill or Victoria and Albert’s... typically regarded as two of the finest restaurants in Florida?

Has Universal stepped up its game in the past 10 years? ABSOLUTELY! Does it currently beat WDW as a vacation destination? No way.

How many golf courses does Universal have? How many places can you rent watercraft or go parasailing? Do they have any evening show even approaching Illuminations, Fantasmic or Wishes?

Yes, you look at a few select areas and Universal beats WDW. But overall WDW wins hands down. To claim otherwise shows you are just plain burned out on WDW, which is certainly understandable. But don’t start claiming Uni is the superior resort because it just plain is not!

11. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Kennesaw Tom

I enjoy Universal Studios as well. But Universal is an amusement park, not a theme park. Does it have themed areas within it. Yes, it does have well themed areas within it, but it still comes across as an amusement park. I have never stayed at Universal so I can not comment on the hotels. I have eaten at Universal in the parks and I was not impressed with the food, subpar from the franchises and sandwich shops found in your typical USA strip mall ( the same as Disney park food, with few exceptions). One thing that does come across at Universal is that it picks up where Disney left off. You can see in it's rides and attractions the progression of technology. Disney went from rides like Star Tours/ Body Wars and did not pick up again till Soaring. Universal kept going with the natural progression of the technology from Back to the Future ( now torn down ) to Jimmy Neutron. Anyway that is just my impression.

12. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By HMButler79

""How many golf courses does Universal have? How many places can you rent watercraft or go parasailing? Do they have any evening show even approaching Illuminations, Fantasmic or Wishes?""

Wow, you are DESPERATE.... Who cares about such trivialities??

13. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By HMButler79

""But don’t start claiming Uni is the superior resort because it just plain is not!""

Ummmm, if your looking for world class attractions, dining, better employees, better seasonal events (Mardi Gras, Summer Concert, HHN, Macy's Xmas, Grinchmas), classier guests, then YES it's better. But ya know....not all of us enjoy the theme park Dollar General.

14. See Post

See Post New Member

***""How many golf courses does Universal have? How many places can you rent watercraft or go parasailing? Do they have any evening show even approaching Illuminations, Fantasmic or Wishes?""

Wow, you are DESPERATE.... Who cares about such trivialities??***

Actually, I think it is an extremely valid point.

An old friend of mine who is intimately connected with the TDR took a trip to WDW, and when he returned he said to me "we call TDR a 'resort' but WDW really IS a resort".

There's a lot of truth to that, and the reason why I said WDW will NEVER be topped in terms of scope and scale.

Golf IS important to many people. As is water activities. And trailer camping. And water parks. And all the other stuff that you simply can NOT find at any other theme park resort save WDW.

The scope of the place is amazing. The execution of the theme parks? Well, maybe that's something to talk about.

But please let's not get silly and say that all the offerings are 'trivial'. They most certainly add to the "total package" that is WDW.

15. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By SeventyOne

Seriously...can someone justify the love for 2011 Epcot to me? EPCOT Center was my favorite park from my first visit in 1983 until, maybe, 5 years ago. Future World has been dumbed down to pablum. World Showcase is stagnant. The special events are tired. If I had to pick a park to go against US or IoA, this would be my last choice.

Looking forward to the rest of the Spirit's thesis...

16. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Kennesaw Tom

SeventyOne I wonder if your the one I am duking it out with on another board in regards to EPCOT Center vs Epcot!

EPCOT Center = redundant.

Just how many song do you want to listen to sung by John Joyce? How many Omnimover rides do you want to go on featuring antiquated animatronics and movie after movie after movie! The Living Seas was about as effective as taking valium. With the highlight being watching manatees munching on lettuce leaves. Attractions like Universe of Energy that last forever and a day ( 45 minutes long ). Did I mention the "70 folks" music everywhere? Did EPCOT Center have it's merits? YES! Is Epcot today better, in someways yes in someways no. Let's just put it this way as far as Epcot is concerned I believe it's being neglected and I believe there is a lot of room for improvement. But, I don't see Disney ever turning the clock back to the rides/ attractions back in the EPCOT Center days.

17. See Post

See Post New Member

***Is Epcot today better, in someways yes in someways no***

It was way better back in the day.

It became stale, sure, but the answer was NOT to dumb it down.

Epcot today SUCKS compared to yesteryear.

Anyone arguing that most likely never saw it during the glory days.

18. See Post

See Post New Member

***But, I don't see Disney ever turning the clock back to the rides/ attractions back in the EPCOT Center days***

That's sad, because they SHOULD (in an updated fashion, of course).

The old Epcot had a grand plan, and a bold vision.

Today? Not so much. (though I still like it)

19. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By DlandDug

>>Wow, you are DESPERATE.... Who cares about such trivialities??<<

Those are not "trivialities." They are DETAILS.

It's like saying the whole thesis of this discussion is based on a "triviality"-- a great meal at a single restaurant. See how I did that?

20. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By EPCOT Explorer

If Universal continues on it's present course, yes, very easy for it to overtake Disney.

In terms of new additions, yes, it already has.

When was the last time WDW fixed up a entire park, and added a groundbreaking new ride? 1994?