Wow - Whoda Thunk It Was ACTUALLY Pretty?!?

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland' started by See Post, May 22, 2010.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Bob Paris 1

Miceage has a long pictorial look at HKDL and I have to say, the place actually looks really pretty!

It is kinda neat seeing the different sections and remembering DL in Anaheim and mentally comparing them!

I must say, however, I do not like the DAK-inspired water taxi layout for the jungle cruise. The waterways seem WAY too wide and there would not be that intimacy you get on the JC in DL/MK.

Overall though, colour me impressed, if only by the prettiness of the place!

2. See Post

See Post New Member

And here's a link:

<a href="http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/weekend-update/1502-hong-kong-disneyland-walt-disney-world-update-key-wests-hemingway-house.html" target="_blank">http://micechat.com/forums/blo...use.html</a>

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Although I must say I am not mad about the pavers on Main Street.

Do they have horse drawn carriages there?

And it's funny but I never "got it" when people waxed orgasmically about the mountains in the background but now, through the photos I can see that it looks lovely! It actually makes the place seem even more "real", like MS is a real small town in a separate rural location.

4. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By davewasbaloo

It is definately a very pretty park, no doubt. But sadly, no horsedrawn streetcars. And yep, I agree about the JC, I like mine intimate and winding (not like the Rivers of America/Far West like in the other parks).

5. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Malin

*** Wow - Whoda Thunk It Was ACTUALLY Pretty?!? ***

Anyone who's ACTUALLY visited Hong Kong Disneyland already knows how beautiful the park is!

Thanks goes to MiceChat Member HKDLFAN for providing the pictures. He provides regular picture updates each month over on the MiceChat Forums.

6. See Post

See Post New Member

"*** Wow - Whoda Thunk It Was ACTUALLY Pretty?!? ***

Anyone who's ACTUALLY visited Hong Kong Disneyland already knows how beautiful the park is!"

Well I guess it had to have SOMETHING going for it, right?

I don't know what it was about these photos but they just seemed to make the place seem really pretty. When we all talk about what am ugly duckling this place is, I just thought it bore mentioning.

7. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By xrayvision

I think the complaints derive from the number of park offerings, not the beauty of the park. You're right, it's a very pretty park, and resort, which others on LP has also agreed to its' beauty. Some of the prior praises of HKDL from LP members include:
    1) The mountains behind the castle add an additional magic or majesty to HKDL, making the Magic Kingdom feel secure.
    2) Main Street USA's brick paved streets look really nice.
    3) Adventureland is lush and very pretty, including the large jungle river.
    4) The Lion King show is very good and may be one of the better live shows offered inside a Disney park. We also like seeing DLR's Lion King celebration floats being used once again for this show.
    5) Great firework show.
    6) Many LPers want HKDL's electric Autopia cars to be installed at DLR's Autopia.
    7) Some LPers also want HKDL's Astro Orbiter for DLR or at least like the new design.
    8) The Fantasyland gardens are pretty (and more classic FL rides would fit in very well and be greatly appreciated by LPers).
    9) People like the new train station adjacent to the resort.
    10) We like the Mickey and Friends fountain near the HKDL welcome sign.
    And number 11 - HKDL's has the best Halloween celebration out of all the Magic Kingdoms (featuring haunt mazes, parade and awesomely scary commercials).

This is not a complete list. It's just a few of many compliments that we LPers have made about the beauty of HKDL.

8. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By KatieKate123

That was a very pretty park

9. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By xrayvision

^Agreed.

Bob, you mentioned the Jungle Cruise river being too wide. It does narrow down after passing the Treehouse and island boat dock. Here's a video of the HKDL Jungle Cruise where you can see that the ride does become more intimate. I like the updated native attack scene and the exciting finale scene.

HKDL Jungle Cruise - English version with male skipper
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrlFWAmEBig&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...=related</a>

HKDL Jungle Cruise - Vegetation more grown, English version with female skipper
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpl0w4uQTaI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...0w4uQTaI</a>

10. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By davewasbaloo

Thanks for sharing that Xrayvision. It looks very cool. So there are 3 e-tickets in the park at least.

11. See Post

See Post New Member

We have HKDL pencilled in tentatively after the expansion finishes. I am sure with three new lands(well, two that will matter)and at least two brand new original E tickets, this place will be something I will ACTUALLY visit.

12. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By FerretAfros

What I remember most about the Jungle Cruise is the skippers, not the size of the river as you go around that first bend. Since many of the guests (and some of the skippers) are non-native English speakers, the jokes aren't puns like they are in the US versions, but instead are more situational humor. Instead of seeing "Gazelles, giraffes, and zebras. I don't know what those are, they must be gnu." you get "What's the difference between boy and girl zebras? Boy zebras are black with white stripes and girls are white with black stripes." It certainly takes a little of the punch out. Still a really fun attraction, especially with the ending, but it loses something in the translation (even if it's in English to start with).

"We also like seeing DLR's Lion King celebration floats being used once again for this show."

The original floats from the parade are still being used for WDW's Festival of the Lion King show. The ones in HKDL were built just for the show, and are a little different, but look very similar. Personally, I enjoyed the HKDL version a lot more, since it seemed to focus on the story more than the acrobatics, which didn't do much for me in DAK. I also think that The Golden Mickeys is possibly my favorite theme park show ever. It has a lot of energy, and is very well performed. It's constantly changing and realy fun to see what's coming up next. It's also interesting in both shows to see how they deal with audiences who speak several languages.

While the general sentiments may be that the park could use some improvements, I don't think I've ever heard anybody say that it's not pretty. I'm excited that I'll have a chance to be there again in about a month, and I'm looking forward to seeing how everything has grown in over the last 4 years. I'm also interested in checking out Autopia and Small World, both of which opened since my visit. The park has an outstanding base. It just needs some stuff to fill in the gaps and make it a real full-day attraction.

13. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Liberty Belle

It's definitely a pretty park! And although I hate to "wax orgasmically" I really do love the look of the mountains in the background. Looking forward to seeing the park again after the new lands open.

>>It certainly takes a little of the punch out<<

Definitely, as does the fact that the skippers sound like they really don't get the joke! It's really awkward.

14. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Malin

For anyone who was inspired by the photo's taken by MiceChat Member HKDLFAN, you may like to check out his May update. Picture's can be found over on his Flickr account. <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/hkdlfan/" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.com/photos/hkdlfan/</a>

15. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By tashajilek

Thanks everyone for all the pictures. HKDL's tomorrow land looks so much nicer and futuristic. As soon as mystic point opens i am there!

16. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By markymouse

I'll probably never get to go, but I found some great advice for those who can, and who find the park lacking in things to do. Take this great suggestion from a sign in the photo essay:

"Spend your free time outdoors, you will find leaf patterns and hardworking ants very interesting, indeed."

Do the leaf patterns and hardworking ants appear on the attractions list? Indeed.

17. See Post

See Post New Member

I don't know about that but apparently the toilets do!