Shanghai Disneyland Storybook Castle

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland' started by See Post, Apr 23, 2014.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By dagobert

Take a look at this amazing PDF File about SDL's castle. It shows the design and other interesting stuff.

https://higherlogicdownload.s3.amazonaws.com/AIA/Citation-%20Enchanted%20Storybrook%20Castle2.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJH5D4I4FWRALBOUA&Expires=1398338197&Signature=htv8u4ujF7DZgCq6eZ9BjdworcQ%3D

The link above is taken from here:
    <a target="blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://network.aia.org/TechnologyinArchitecturalPractice/resources/viewdocument/?DocumentKey=e726f7cd-0561-40c8-a266-026ffc3ff743">http://network.aia.org/Technol...fc3ff743</a>

2. See Post

See Post New Member

Now the link must work.

<a target="blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://higherlogicdownload.s3.amazonaws.com/AIA/Citation-%20Enchanted%20Storybrook%20Castle2.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJH5D4I4FWRALBOUA&Expires=1398338197&Signature=htv8u4ujF7DZgCq6eZ9BjdworcQ%3D">http://higherlogicdownload.s3....worcQ%3D</a>

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Here are some highlights of the castle:

- Restaurant with fully functional kitchen
    - Fountain Pumps for Water Show
    - Retractable Theatrical Light Towers
    - Fireworks Launchpads
    - Large Outdoor Stage Show
    - Boat Ride System
    - Boat Ride Maintenance Facility
    - Operations Offices
    - Retail Cash Rooms
    - Roof Top Garden
    - Retail Store
    - Photo Studio
    - Interactive Walk-Through Attraction
    - Children's Salon
    - Central Double Helical Staircase
    - Character Meet & Greet

4. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By FerretAfros

That's a great find! It has lots of technical drawings showing various details (and does a good job advertising for Revit in the process)

It looks like there will be guest spaces on the 1st and 3rd floors of the building, but it's not clear what (if anything) will go on the 2nd floor. It looked unfinished in the section

I'm also not sure how/if the boat ride will travel though/under the castle. The plans showing the basement appeared to only have utilities and backstage functions. I didn't see anything wide enough for a ride path. There was also an image showing the rockwork under the moat bridges, so the boats won't travel along the moat as was once rumored

5. See Post

See Post New Member

This castle is going to be very big and I have to say it grows on me. There's a bigger concept art of the castle towards the end of that file and it looks beautiful. The castle features many details, but as a European, I have to say, I stick with DLP's castle as the most beautiful Disney castle.

As for the boat ride, maybe it isn't directly beneath the castle.

6. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Dr Hans Reinhardt

Try this:

<a target="blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://tinyurl.com/lslbcpc">http://tinyurl.com/lslbcpc</a>

7. See Post

See Post New Member

I'm going to assume that the finishes and materials used will really make this castle "pop" once it's constructed. However, the overall massing of the structure in renderings reminds me of an overblown prop from a min-golf course or a themed Vegas hotel. I will say, though, that the amenities included will easily blow away any of the existing Disney castles.

8. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Witches of Morva

ORDDU: I still prefer the smaller, more simple Disney castles that belong to specific characters instead of a 'one size fits all' castle.

9. See Post

See Post New Member

^^ Yeah, maybe that's it. It's kind of generic looking. One minute I like it and then I don't.

10. See Post

See Post New Member

>>>: I still prefer the smaller, more simple Disney castles that belong to specific characters instead of a 'one size fits all' castle.<<<

The only simple Disney castles are the one in Anaheim and the one in Hang Kong. All other castles aren't simple.

SDL's castle looks more like a real European castle, than Disney World's.

11. See Post

See Post New Member

ORDDU: Compared to Cinderella's castle, this new Shanghai DL castle is over-bloated and unidentifiable--making it less intimate or easy to care about.

ORWEN: Not that it isn't still impressive in its own way. But it's supposed to have so much going on inside that it will be too easy to get lost in itself--whereas both Cinderella's and Sleeping Beauty's Castles have identities that give you more of a welcoming charm.

ORDDU: When you go to visit this newest castle, you won't know who's home you're really visiting. That makes a big difference--to some of us. That's why we say that Cinderella's Castle, along with the larger Sleeping Beauty Castle in France--are more simple compared to this newest one.

12. See Post

See Post New Member

It is interesting that they decided against giving this castle a single identity, especially when you consider that the other castles don't really look anything like the ones in their respective films. There are some elements in this one that look like they could be from Tangled, Cinderella, or Beauty and the Beast, so any of those could could have theoretically worked, but for whatever reason they wanted something more generic

I really do wonder why they decided to have a generic name, rather than a semi-generic structure named after any one of the princesses

13. See Post

See Post New Member

The castles have been used as a corporate brand identity for decades. As Disney expands into China, a country with less familiarity with Disney characters, they probably thought it would be wise to push the castle as a symbol rather than a home for any particular princess.

14. See Post

See Post New Member

ORDDU: Possibly so, Dr. If that's the case, it probably won't matter to the local Chinese population who this new castle belongs to--as long as they have a castle to admire.

ORWEN: There are some other 'firsts' for this new park. So having a generic castle may just be one more of many.

ORGOCH: Got sharks in yer moat?

15. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By friarthe

Coulda used Snow White. We see plenty of references to her by name (and by pictures, always featuring a rip-off of the Disney Snow White dress, even when the dwarves are unrecognizable) over here in the PRC.

16. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By friarthe

Coulda used Snow White. We see plenty of references to her by name (and by pictures, always featuring a rip-off of the Disney Snow White dress, even when the dwarves are unrecognizable) over here in the PRC.

17. See Post

See Post New Member

Is there a castle featured in the Snow White story?

18. See Post

See Post New Member

Yah, there's that one that she lives in at the beginning with the Evil Queen, before she runs away into the woods. From what I remember, it doesn't have much of a distinctive style, but it looks similar to the lower portion of the DL and MK castles, with grey stone walls and tile roofs

19. See Post

See Post New Member

ORWEN: Yes there are 2. The Evil Queen's castle is seen at the beginning but it's dark and dreary.

ORDDU: Then--at the end of the movie--the prince's castle shows up in the clouds as a destination for the two young lovers. (sigh) Kind of makes me wonder when my own prince will come...

20. See Post

See Post New Member

Oh, ok. Those castles aren't really featured in the story like they are in Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella. I guess I don't associate Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs with a castle.