It's no secret that Pixar loves hiding East Eggs in their films and Inside Out is no exception. Here are some of the best ones that have been found so far.
Pizza Planet Truck
The Pizza Planet truck makes three appearances in the film. Pete Docter hasn't given away the exact locations, but the leading rumors are that it appears twice on the streets of San Francisco and once inside Riley's mind. To add the the confusion, Riley's family car is also yellow and from a distance, bears a striking resemblance (the car stuck on Lombard St. and on family Island is the family car, not the Pizza Planet Truck). Happy hunting!
The legendary Cal Arts classroom that most of Pixar's most talented animators trained at is also the number of Riley's classroom in the film.
For relative scale, Pete Docter made Family Island to Joy the same size as Disneyland would be to you. "Grimm Grinning Ghosts" from The Haunted Mansion can also be heard in the background during one of Riley's nightmares.
Walt Disney Family Museum
Riley's San Francisco hockey rink sits in the exact same spot as the Walt Disney Family Museum, which is in the Presidio with a fantastic view of Golden Gate Bridge.
Other Pixar References
- The globe in Riley's classroom was previously used in Andy's room in all three Toy Story films.
- The camouflage pattern worn by one of Riley's classmates is actually made of of silhouettes of Toy Story characters.
- The playground from Sunnyside Daycare in Toy Story 3 appears in one of Riley's early childhood memories.
- Some of the memories in HQ and Long Term Memory are actually scenes from Carl Fredrickson's childhood in Up.
- The birds from the short For the Birds make a quick cameo during Riley's cross-country drive to San Francisco. These same birds also appeared in Cars.
- Bumper stickers used in Cars can be found on some of the automobiles in San Francisco.
- The Chinese takeout boxes the family eat out of are the same ones used by the circus bugs in a bug's life.
- Nemo can be spotted in Imaginationland on the cover of a board game appropriately called "Find Me."
- Collette from Ratatouille is on the cover of a magazine in the film.
- Arlo and a triceratops from The Good Dinosaur appear in a memory when the family stops to take pictures in front of some dinosaur statues.