Nintendo and Universal form theme park partnership

Discussion in 'Non-Disney Theme Parks and Destinations' started by See Post, May 9, 2015.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Yookeroo

"You don't find video game franchises less worthy of theme park attractions compared to movies, and I do."

But why? Mario has been around for decades and is very popular. And some of the Mario games are great creative achievements. Better than many movies. Same with Zelda.

2. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By CuriousConstance

Good movies can be so be so multidimensional and evoke so many various thoughts and feelings. A simple song can bring you out of reality and into a different world. Really good movies become timeless and are passed from one generation to another. Sure Mario is popular and has been for a long time, but it just seems so much more one dimensional to me. It's more of a feeling really, but video games just don't seem to be as layered and subjective, leaving things to interpretation and imagination like really good movies can.

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Dr Hans Reinhardt

It's a dude thing, obviously.

4. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By leemac

<<Good movies can be so be so multidimensional and evoke so many various thoughts and feelings.>>

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion - but I personally think you are prejudiced against video games. I'm not even a gamer but I can appreciate the level of detail and sophistication in these franchises. There is as much story, heart and emotion as many movies. Some of the biggest game franchises have budgets larger than the biggest movies. Sure a lot is spent on the environment but a lot of gamers approach programming in the same way as creatives do for movies and TV - a show script and fully formed characters.

5. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By RoadTrip

Yes, it is a video game, but all the characters have their own distinct personality. Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Toad and all the others are very distinct from each other. And they all inhabit a very entertaining world. It varies a lot depending on the game, but has some characteristics that are always similar. You would know a Mario world pretty much instantly even without seeing any of the characters.

Heck, I wouldn't stand in line for five minutes to see any of the Frozen Princesses. But I would to see Mario, Luigi and Bowser. What can I say?

6. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By dagobert

I'm not a big gamer, although I had every console since the NES. After PS3 I stopped buying the consoles, because I only played the FIFA games and some Medal of Honor shooters. However I always loved the Nintendo games around Mario. I still play them on the old Game Boy.

So if a Mario attraction is coming to Universal, I would more likely return for that than for Transformers or even Harry Potter.

7. See Post

See Post New Member

<<So if a Mario attraction is coming to Universal, I would more likely return for that than for Transformers or even Harry Potter.>>

It's a smart play because they are trying to appeal to as many different demographics as possible. Disney does have Star Wars now that appeals to Gen X but otherwise it is a slim pickings for that crowd at Disney - particularly males.

I'm always perplexed as to the appeal of the Bay Transformer movies. I couldn't bring myself to see the last one in theaters - and only saw it at home as I wanted to see the Hong Kong setpiece.

8. See Post

See Post New Member

"Of course you are entitled to your own opinion - but I personally think you are prejudiced against video games. "

Not even close. I've been playing Mario since I was 7 years old. I've always been a fan of Mario, and have great memories of the game. Now my son is a video game fan, and we have great fun playing together. So, no, I'm nothing close to prejudiced against video games. But my opinion still stands. It's possible to like two things, and feel that one has a greater depth and dimension to it.

9. See Post

See Post New Member

I guess it comes down to what Dr Hans said... ;-)

10. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Dabob2

I'm a dude, and I've played my share of videogames in the past and enjoyed them... but I've never felt much of an emotional connection to them like I have with the best of movies (or novels, or music...), so I know where CC is coming from. Not that you couldn't make some great theme park attractions from them.

11. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Yookeroo

"Not that you couldn't make some great theme park attractions from them."

Or land. But that's kind of the point, isn't it? You have iconic characters with long histories and immense popularity.

12. See Post

See Post New Member

Whatever emotional connection I have with various Disney Park attractions is not based on the attraction's source material, but on my personal experience with the attraction itself.

13. See Post

See Post New Member

<<Whatever emotional connection I have with various Disney Park attractions is not based on the attraction's source material, but on my personal experience with the attraction itself.>>

You and me both - but I've always been a park guy first and foremost.

We are in the minority. Having an immediate "in" to the characters, setting and story gives people comfort that they will like the attraction more. Having all that set up makes the attraction more popular to the majority of guests.

14. See Post

See Post New Member

Yes, I only started watching Disney films AFTER becoming a major Parks fan. My sentimental favorite WDW/DL ride of all time is Peter Pan. I never saw any of the films related to Peter Pan until at least 30 years after I first rode it as a 12-year-old in Disneyland. The next time I experienced the attraction was 27 years later during my first WDW visit. But it brought back the childhood memories and will forever be a favorite. That first visit to WDW was really what made me a Disney Parks fan. My initial visit to DL really didn't impress me that much to tell you the truth. At 12 years of age, it was just another place with rides. But even then, there was something really special about "flying" over London...

15. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By dagobert

Although I watched the Disney movies as a child, I didn't become a Disney fan because of the films. I became a Disney fan because of the Disney comics sold over here. When my parents took us to Disneyland Paris, I was very surprised that nothing related to Duckburgh and the comics. However I fell in love with DLP and after that I started to like the movies too.

I'm still a park fan first and foremost.

16. See Post

See Post New Member

Me too. I've always generally liked Disney movies, but the parks really kicked it into high gear for me. When we took our first trip there in 2006, I was like "WHAT?! I NEVER WANT TO LEAVE!" Ever since then it's opened me up more to the movies, etc. Even though I always generally liked them.

17. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Dabob2

<<"Not that you couldn't make some great theme park attractions from them.">>

<Or land. But that's kind of the point, isn't it? You have iconic characters with long histories and immense popularity.>

For a lot of people, absolutely. For me, not particularly. But to each his own. Not everything in a park has to appeal to everybody. A good mix is key.