Shanghai Disneyland Hotel Plans

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland' started by See Post, Aug 20, 2012.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By dagobert

Disney has revealed the first plans for the two hotels located at SDL. It seems like one will be themed after Toy Story and the other one will have a Victorian theme.

<a href="http://lukeandthetempleoffun.blogspot.sg/2012/08/shanghai-disneyland-hotel-plans-made.html" target="_blank">http://lukeandthetempleoffun.b...ade.html</a>

<a href="http://disneyandmore.blogspot.co.at/2012/08/shanghai-disneyland-hotels-plans.html" target="_blank">http://disneyandmore.blogspot....ans.html</a>

<a href="http://disneyandmore.blogspot.co.at/2012/08/shanghai-disneyland-hotels-were-in-fact.html" target="_blank">http://disneyandmore.blogspot....act.html</a>

2. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By FerretAfros

I guess there's no big surprise that they're doing a Victorian theme. That seems to be the standard flagship hotel model at all of the resorts (except DLR).

The much more surprising one, to me at least, is the Toy Story theme. While I understand the popularity of the franchise, I feel like it's already been played out. It's a franchise that was very successful, but is sort of at the end of its lifespan. We've seen the 3 movies do very well, but I wonder how much longer it will keep its popularity when they've stopped making new films and TV shows. It sort of reminds me of the Mighty Ducks themed section of the All Stars Movie Resort at WDW, which seemed really fun and current in the late 90's, but is laughably out of place now.

Then again, I've never really liked the Toy Story movies much (there, I said it!), so maybe I'm extra cynical about it.

3. See Post

See Post New Member

I like Toy Story, but a whole hotel based on that franchise is too much. I prefere Disney Hotels with a "real world" theming, like most hotels at WDW, HKDL, DLRP or DLA. I'm not a bif fan of the new Animation resort either or of the character tie inns at some of the DLP hotels.

4. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Dr Hans Reinhardt

"While I understand the popularity of the franchise, I feel like it's already been played out. It's a franchise that was very successful, but is sort of at the end of its lifespan."

Funny, I keep saying the same thing about Star Wars and yet it just never dies.

5. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By tashajilek

"Funny, I keep saying the same thing about Star Wars and yet it just never dies"

Star Wars is in it's own category. I dont think the franchise will ever die and very young kids today even love SW.

6. See Post

See Post New Member

And that's my point. While Toy Story may not have the strength and longevity of Star Wars kids still seem to like it 13 years after the first film was released.

BTW, there is a rumor that a Toy Story 4 film is in the works.

7. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By SuperDry

And, for the target audience, the Toy Story franchise isn't 13 years old, as they're not even half that age themselves in many cases.

8. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By tashajilek

"BTW, there is a rumor that a Toy Story 4 film is in the works."

That would be cool i true! I love Toy Story, much better than Cars anyways.

9. See Post

See Post New Member

"And, for the target audience, the Toy Story franchise isn't 13 years old, as they're not even half that age themselves in many cases."

The same is true, in many cases, for Star Wars.

10. See Post

See Post New Member

In my opinion it would have been better to use more movies for the theme instead of just one. Disney did the same with the All Star Resorts and with the Art of Animation hotel.

11. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By FerretAfros

I wonder if they chose a single theme because of the size of the hotel. The Values in WDW are all over 1,900 rooms, which is a really big hotel in the US. Given that American hotels tend to be much bigger than ones in other countries, I suspect that this hotel could be significantly smaller. Even at half the size, it would be considered a big hotel most places, but it probably wouldn't be big enough to have several different themes, and make visual sense. Because it's all in one building, rather than several smaller buildings spread out with some landscaping between them, it would be a lot harder to combine several ideas into one.

12. See Post

See Post New Member

That's a good point, becuase the hotel doesn't look that big compared to the other SDL hotel. I'm glad that at least one hotel isn't themed to any franchise. Despite DLA, all resorts feature a Victorian hotel.