The Hijackable Thread

Discussion in 'Play Pen' started by See Post, Apr 15, 2006.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By DyGDisney

We're going to an A's game this week! I can't wait.

2. See Post

See Post New Member

Hi Tink_26. Back to school tomorrow. No more sleeping in for us moms!

3. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By tink_26

I know! I was lovin' vacation! :) When do they track out again? I hear a Disney vacation coming!

Starbucks in the morning? We should reward ourselves for our early morning!

4. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By DVC_dad

Starbucks is awesome...I made the mistake of recently trying McDonald's new coffee and I LOVE it. Kinda lacks flavor though, but if you like old-school smooth plain coffee it's really great.

5. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By RoadTrip

<<We're looking at buying a home. We have enough for 3% down. The broker has advised that we hold onto our money and do an 80/20. I know that this means that we will not have to pay PMI, but the second will be a higher mortgage rate. Is this a good idea? >>

One thing you will want to do is look carefully at the real estate market where you are buying. Are prices going up, relatively stable, or going down?

If you are in a location where prices are going up what you are proposing may not be a bad idea. Otherwise it could leave you in some real trouble.

It takes a LONG time to pay down the balance on a mortgage. In the early years the great majority of your payment goes to interest, taxes, etc. You pay very little principal. If you go to sell the house in five years you could have a problem.

If you have a $250,000 home the real estate commission and closing costs would come to about $20,000. If house prices in your area are stable the only equity you will have is what you've paid down on your mortgage balance. In the first five years that would only be about $15,000... not enough to cover your selling expense.

If home values are increasing in your market, it would not be a real problem. Mortgage insurance is fairly expensive though... it is better to avoid having to carry it if you can. The interest on the second higher rate loan will be tax deductible; the mortgage insurance is not.

6. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By sherrytodd

Housing costs in our market are rising and I checked and they are predicted to continue to rise, only a little slower. A decline is unlikely. Plus we are not people who move frequently. We've been in the same apartment for going on 9 years now, so we're looking for a home that we'll be in for the long haul. I'm all stressed out over this mortgage thing. I keep wanting to put it off another month to fix every little thing. Meanwhile, interest rates continue to rise. I need to bite the bullit and just get it over with, little blemishes and all. I doubt very many people go in with everything perfect, right?

7. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By smeeeko

I think that even with new homes you have to have them carefully inspected.

mmmm coffee. We need to get some of that.. and some chocolate.. (after Easter choco sale the last one til Halloween!!)

and yes, Trailsend I *have* noticed that everyone (but a few) spell my nick with 2 e's instead of 3. Maybe I should just change my LP nick?? It's 3 because it's my pirate name.. back when pirate names were cool. *giggle* Say it with me kids..
    smmeeeeeeeko =P

Mr Smee's Pirate Meeko =) I even had a friend of mine make a pirate costume for a Meeko plushie I gave out as a prize on a Pirate barge for RADP V. oh well. Maybe I need to get make a "FGTH" style tshirt with it spelled with the 3 e's. hmmm I got til July right?? =P Am I dating myself with "FGTH"?? eh..

8. See Post

See Post New Member

<< I need to bite the bullit and just get it over with, little blemishes and all. I doubt very many people go in with everything perfect, right?>>

Not for your first home... that's for sure. I don't know anyone who didn't have to really stretch the first time around. Have you looked at an FHA loan? Many first time buyers use that (we did on our first home). The current down payment requirement is only 3%.

Good luck!

9. See Post

See Post New Member

So has anyone noticed that at Walt Disney World, Mickey's home has a bedroom, but Minnie's home doesn't have a bedroom. Where's she sleeping, HuHHH?

10. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By tink_26

oooh!

In DL is there a bedroom in Mickey/Minnie houses? I can't remember!?

11. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By DVC_dad

Ya'll ain't right.

12. See Post

See Post New Member

<<So has anyone noticed that at Walt Disney World, Mickey's home has a bedroom, but Minnie's home doesn't have a bedroom. Where's she sleeping, HuHHH?>>

Like any good single female she sleeps in her kitchen. You never know when someone might stop by wanting a good meal.

;-)

13. See Post

See Post New Member

<Ya'll ain't right.>

Hey, I just asked a simple question. It's not my fault you jumped to conclusions. =P Maybe she has a hide-a-bed or something. ;)

14. See Post

See Post New Member

My 8 year old pointed out to me today that Mickey's house doesn't have a kitchen. I told her he must always eat over at Minnie's. But if Minnie doesn't have a bedroom, well.....

15. See Post

See Post New Member

<<I think that even with new homes you have to have them carefully inspected. >>

ESPECIALLY with new homes. My DH is a New Home Service Rep. with a large national homebuilder. YOu wouldn't believe the problems in the new homes. They are track homes after all. I rather like buying an older house, because all the bugs are worked out.

16. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Kar2oonMan

>>I rather like buying an older house, because all the bugs are worked out.<<

After tenting & lots of chemicals.

: )

17. See Post

See Post New Member

Fortunately we're too cold here for termites. =)

We're looking at homes built mid to late eighties and some neighborhoods in the late 70's. There's no room left in the Denver Metro area for a new home unless you want to live on the outskirts.

18. See Post

See Post New Member

Okay, so those little chocolate eggs wrapped in foil. Delicious little things, but honestly, the reward to effort ratio just isn't there. 20 minutes of picking and pulling at the little foil wrapper, finally freeing the little morsel of chocolate. And there's always the possibility of missing a tiny shrapnel of foil and getting that electrocution feeling when you chomp down on it.

Marshmallow Peeps, not there's the ticket. Only problem is, I love them stale. Real stale. So the bunch we now have won't be ripe until around Halloween. They'll live in the cupboard until then.

And finally, dyed eggs. Fun to do, fun to pull out of the lunch bag. But too often, the dye leaks through the cracks in the shell, leaving the eggwhite with spider veins of green and blue and pink. I don't know about you, but eating an egg with varicose veins isn't the most appetizing prospect to me. I get the whole Green Eggs and Ham concept, and the dye doesn't alter the egg's own flavor, but it makes the egg look bruised and/or rotten.

19. See Post

See Post New Member

Foil covered eggs are too much work. You get the same satisfaction from a Hershey bar with half the effort.

Stale Peeps = Bluch
    Peep Smores = Yum

I never thought about the vericose vein eggs. They never bothered me before, but now they probably will. =P

20. See Post

See Post New Member

Now, now. Have you tried a stale Peep? Crunchy goodness.

Here's fun requiring adult supervision. (Kids, don't try this without asking mom & dad first. Give a Hoot, Don't Pollute.) Last year, a neighbor showed us how they have Peep wars.

You place a couple of Peeps facing each other in the microwave. "Arm" each of them with a lance by inserting a toothpick. Turn on the microwave.

It's amazing to watch. The Peeps swell to 4X their original height and girth in an effort to intimidate each other. One Peep wins when the other gets impaled on its opponent's lance. Once speared, the Peep deflates into a bubbling puddle of goo.

And who says suburban Saturday nights are boring???

P.S. Reaching into the oven and grasping the victor too soon will result in your fingers being covered in magma-hot melted sugar crystals that stick like Napalm. Don't do it.