WWoHP Stealing Disney's Business?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News, Rumors and General Disc' started by See Post, Jun 8, 2010.

Random Thread
  1. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By Spirit of 74

<<My friends in WDI tell me they feel their hands are tied. WDI has become more of a provider of attractions ordered by the park rather than the creative center it once was.>>

That sounds about right.

2. See Post

See Post New Member

<<I got told recently that Eddie had been posting on some fansite A LOT - no idea where or why.>>

WDWMAGIC ... and for many, many months.

Sometimes interesting, sometimes you have to wade thru fanboi drool puddles and then ... well, Eddie doesn't like to get into anything controversial.

The most emotion I think he ever showed was in defending Mission Space since he had a role in it early on.

<<For all of his talent he is his own worst enemy which is why he hasn't been able to work his impressive resume into more fulfilling opportunities - which is a tremendous shame. Sometimes I wish these talented outside creatives would take a long hard look at themselves and recognize that there is room to improve their style and personality. >>

Maybe that's why he's posting since he is being as vanilla as possible. And I'm trying to be likewise here as I have enjoyed talking to him, think the world of his past work and didn't mention him here to take a shot and want to make that clear.

I just think he wants back into Glendale badly ... maybe he thinks Shanghai is that opportunity. I keep seeing an area of the park that is a mix of his Sci-Fi City concept, mixed with maybe a Tron attraction or two (depending on what the film does) mixed with the Marvel characters and that sounds like something he'd probably chomp at the bit to work on.

<<sure, there are a few straight men and some women at WDI, but largely the place resembles West Hollywood only with nerds and geeks, who don't spend 12 hours a day working on how they look.>>

<<Crikey - that is some statement! >>

C'mon, is this the first time you've seen me take such a shot at WDI?

If so, I am very disappointed in you.
    Spending too much time watching the incredibly boring World Cup instead of reading my Spirited rants?!?! ;-)

<<Although there are prominent gay and lesbian imagineers within WDI it certainly isn't "largely" homosexual. Granted in the creative development and creative entertainment divisions the percentage skews higher (which mirrors most of SoCal) but it isn't that way under any of the technical and delivery divisions. There are numerous imagineers of every discipline that are married with kids. It isn't some clique-y homosexual club.>>

I'm talking largely creative and I'll stand on my comment. And I absolutely didn't mean that as anti-gay, so please don't you (or anyone else) take it as such. More as a statement of the environment there.

I do believe that some days you could take a gun ... a paint ball gun ok ... and start firing and never hit a straight dude.

3. See Post

See Post New Member

<<I got a text from EE on Friday before noon saying that they were en route.
    Since I suspect that he had been up, dressed and sitting in the car since about first light, it was no doubt a long morning for the little fella.>>

Little fella?!? ;-)

<<Later, I got another one from him saying he was passing the “purple gates.”
    That was after 5pm. They appear to have stumbled into some sort of time warp somewhere on the turnpike (Likely near Yehaw), turning a three hour trip into just over five.>>

That's very strange. That trip takes me between 2:45 (fastest ever) to 4:15 if I stop for gas, snack, coffee.

I have a Spirited notion he is enjoying EMH right now at MK ... what is weird is I thought he said he was staying off-site.

Strange how these things happen.

4. See Post

See Post New Member

<<My favorite recent quote from a WDI source, which I fully intend to have put onto t-shirts: “Universal swings for the fence. Disney bunts.”>>

My favorite recent quote from ... well, myself is: "Universal is trying. Disney is trying to put one over on its fans."

5. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By WDW Imagineer

<<I'm talking largely creative and I'll stand on my comment. And I absolutely didn't mean that as anti-gay, so please don't you (or anyone else) take it as such. More as a statement of the environment there.>>

Great, the exact department I wanted to get into. Lovely

6. See Post

See Post New Member

>> Eh...he posts regularly, but I wouldn't say "a lot". Around 800 posts in just over a year.
    It's a good thread. Eddie is a welcome presence over there. <<

<<But Lee that's post in only one thread. I must say I wish he posted here at LP.>>

I can't see that happening.

He can take advantage of the very repressive environment over there to keep 'his' thread on a non-controversial path.

I thought he really took the 'throw him under the bus' road when he tried to avoid talking about Tim Delaney (a good man and a good Imagineer) unceremonious dismissal last fall.

He's been gone since 1999. He's in the restaurant business now (been meaning to try his place near LA Live for over a year). Does he seriously think WDI is going to hire him back a la Bob Weis ... or even in a contract role?

<<He definetly has some insight into WDI. Plus it gives all the imagineer wanttobes a chace to see how the creartive process works in that setting. It's just hard dragging you guys over here to LP to post. Look how long it took to get you Lee. Plus it gets harder to drag LeeMac into discusions. Especially with guzzling beer, watching football matches, and beating up Americans consuming so much of his time now.>>

Leemac has been posting plenty of late. You need to check out boards beyond WDW as I guess he too is bored with the place. Leemac has been posting on the DCA and TDL and DLP boards of late (possibly others too) ... the DCA threads (about WoC and Disney and the online community are quite interesting).

7. See Post

See Post New Member

<<Disney geeks love hearing from an insider. That's why I fawn over every word you post Lee Mac.>>

I thought as my chief minion and Disney mid-level manager stalker, you were only allowed to fawn over moi? (do I sound like Miss Piggy?)

Perhaps, you need to check your contract!

8. See Post

See Post New Member

<<Can't you just picture the whole family pulled over on the side of the roade with a checkered table cloth spread out on the ground picnicing happily away on a bucket of Colonel Harland Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken?>>

I can't picture EE dining on KFC ... but I haven't had it in ages ... why am I craving fried chicken now?

9. See Post

See Post New Member

>> Good grief - only took a quick look as I hate those busy message board formats but it is certainly sycophantic. <<

<<I always use that method when I'm trying to pry information from you, but it never works.>>

Compliment him on his accent and his generosity with Little Squirt pins and that should turn the fountains of information on!

10. See Post

See Post New Member

>> My gut says Eddie would jump back to Glendale in a mili-second if they'd have him. <<

<<I've thought about this long, and hard, and reached the conclusion, who wouldn't want to be a part of Disney. Especially if you're a fanboi. Yes I know all the draw backs nowdays, and I know it's just a business, but it's hard for me to be such a fan, and not want to be a part of it on the inside. >>

That's true enough.

There are so many things the company is doing now that I don't agree with. And there are so many people employed (in MANY divisions) that I think are idiots at best, devoid of any humanity at worst.

BUT ... if given the right opportunity to join the company, I admit I'd be spewing forth words like wishes, dreams and magic 564 times a day!

<<Let's face it. When Disney is on it's game it's the best in the Industry. They are the Big Kahuna. They draw the crowds. Who could resist putting your work on display with the best in the business. Yes I know the argument now is they aren't the best anymore. That's true, but all it takes is a few dedicated people in the right posistions for that to turn around.>>

Nah, all it really would take is some visionary folks leading the company and P&R.

The only visionary people I see at high levels of Disney are John Lasseter and Steve Jobs.

11. See Post

See Post New Member

>>Good grief - only took a quick look as I hate those busy message board formats <<

<<See, I'm just the opposite. The board format is what kept/keeps me from posting over here more. I much prefer having the ability to edit and attach photos. I'm pretty sure there must me a hampster running on a wheel somewhere to keep these LP boards operating. Maybe if we took up a collection LP could invest in some modern boards....>>

I think you just like your rock star like role over there. I say something that paints Disney in a poor light and I get hatred spewing forth. You say the exact same thing and the fanbois drool puddles.

Even though I hate looking at some typos I have made here, I like having no edit feature (believe it or not) ... because here there's no going back and changing something and saying you didn't say it ... you also don't have posts disappear in the middle of the night because someone who is not my MOM decides they are too incendiary/provocative.

And you don't need pics and attatchments etc ... what a waste of time to have to wade thru and then folks copying them ... and add avatars and trip links and people's trip logs and favorite Disney restrooms ... and ... it's just a mess to wade through.

Unless you're a kid home on summer vacation.

And I KNOW that ain't your case! :)

>>but it is certainly sycophantic.<<

<<Of course. When an Imagineer, current or former, comes down from on high to speak to the mere mortals on a Disney fan board, that's what you can expect. Imagine if it was somebody current like Baxter or Rohde....>>

Tony would love to, I'm sure. And Joe wouldn't want any part of it, I'm also sure.

But the difference is they are both leading Imagineers with some degree of power even today.

Eddie was given an either/or proposition in 1999. I don't mean this as a putdown, but he's ancient history in Glendale.

Now, do I think WDI would be richer if he were working for them?

Hell yeah.

12. See Post

See Post New Member

<<Spirit kept posting nude photos of himself. So Doobie had to remove that capability.>>

Hey, I only did that 999 times ... and it kept overloading the server so bad that LP.com went dark.

Fanbois can't get enough of The Spirit!

13. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By leemac

<<Spending too much time watching the incredibly boring World Cup instead of reading my Spirited rants?!?! ;-)>>

Yup - all those billions of people are stupid for loving soccer, right? :p

One day I'll understand why Americans just don't like soccer like virtually every other nation on earth. Must be because it is free-flowing, skilful and fast - unlike baseball, basketball and that other game that is a poor relation of rugby. :)))

<<Compliment him on his accent and his generosity with Little Squirt pins and that should turn the fountains of information on! >>

Everyone loves my accent even if it is some weird mid-Atlantic drawl now - hugely embarrassing. I wish I could go back to my safe upper-middle class Home Counties upbringing!

14. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By u k fan

The Home Counties are looking particularly lovely at the moment in all this wonderful sunshine!!!

15. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By fkurucz

>>World Cup?
    That little soccer tourney is still going on?<<

The head honchos at the NFL can only dream of having an audience that large.

16. See Post

See Post New Member

>>One day I'll understand why Americans just don't like soccer like virtually every other nation on earth. <<

Chalk it up to short attention spans. Any sport where a play that lasts more than 20-30 seconds is beyond most Americans. Which is why they added shot clocks to basketball.

17. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By MPierce

>> The Home Counties are looking particularly lovely at the moment in all this wonderful sunshine!!! <<

I didn't know they had sunshine in England. :)

18. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By MPierce

>> One day I'll understand why Americans just don't like soccer like virtually every other nation on earth. Must be because it is free-flowing, skilful and fast - unlike baseball, basketball and that other game that is a poor relation of rugby. :))) <<

We like soccer here in the Colonies! There's girl soccer teams all over the Country!

19. See Post

See Post New Member

Originally Posted By MousDad

I have gotten absolutely addicted to the World Cup games. It is raw emotion in sports without equal.

No one else here was moved when Bradley scored with less than 5 minutes left to save our collective national backsides? Whew.

BTW Brits, I'm ready for a rematch.

20. See Post

See Post New Member

>>We like soccer here in the Colonies! There's girl soccer teams all over the Country!<<

Perhaps the ladies have longer attention spans than the gents in the USA.